Confused Civic Owner from over the pond!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GiZmO1269

:confused: Hi!
Sorry about this but i just had to do it....ive been looking for hours trying to decide what car i have
clip_image001.gif

First thing ill start with is the Model
Here in the UK we call it the Honda Civic Coupe LSi and it has a D16Y7 engine. The stamp under the bonnet (the Hood) refers to the car as EJ which I haven’t found much information about on this website or K20a.org. the car is a 1999 model

In the UK we have another Civic Coupe that we call the VTi this is the VTEC version of my car with 160 BHP from the 1.6 engine (ill assume this is the B16, as appose to the D16?) I think you call this car the Si?

So here are my questions...
1)Over in the states, do you have a Civic Coupe with a D16Y7 engine, or is it just the Si cars you have?
2)when referring to my car, which models should i be comparing it too in forums?(I think its the EK)
3)I haven’t seen any images of the original engines in the car....are the engines positioned different in the UK, drivers side being on the right (but you will say wrong) side?
Clicky

Im looking at doing a k24 change into my car...ive been on the hasport website and realise I need axles, Mounts and ECU converters (heres another problem, surly my ECU wont account for the VTEC wiring?)

4)Providing the engine isnt mounted differently (not sure if it should be over to the left, instead of the right) will the mounts/axles from the hasport website be ok?

5) what other problems am i going to run into?

Sorry its a long read....ill check the posts in the morning
clip_image002.gif

Thanks

Phil

:wave:

1) yes, all the 96-00 civics (exceptions being the si and the ex) had the d16y7 engine in the states
2) Your car is technically an EJ (same as in the states) but most people improperly refer to them as EKs (which are acutally JDM only).
3) Your engine is on the same side as ours. Timing belt facing the right side (when looking at the car from the front)
4) Yes.
5) Maybe someone else can get this. I dont have an answer.

PS. You cannot link to images on your hard drive. if you want to use other images in your post, you options are either to attach them, or upload them to a place like photobucket and then link them from there.

5)be prepared to spend a lot of money. i hear those swaps are more expensive in europe than they are in the u.s. it is labor intensive. but good luck.

Thanks for the quick reply guys.....

On ebay, there is a K24 with tranny for £1500 so about $3100 (i thinks) only 24k miles on the clock (not sure what that is in km) so not too bad.....

I looked into a K20 swop not too long ago, and it was going to be £10k for someone to plonk that into the car......No thanks! So going to attempt it my self, get a few Haynes Manuals....should be fine.

Im really impressed of how much infomation is around on this site, and others.....Im sure any thinks possible with this much info! ^_^

Just one more thing regarding the ECU? Do i need to scrap the one i have for a accord ECU?

you will need the accord ecu, whole wiring harness, you will need a custom throttle cable. it's a pretty intensive swap. search around for a list of parts needed. that will be the key to a successful swap. make sure you have everything you need before you start pulling the old motor.

Back