considering a 98+ Accord- V6 or no?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

sorry guys, wasn't quite sure where else to post this so I stuck it here...

anyhow, I've been considering getting a '98+ Accord as a year-round daily driver but can't decide if I want to get the V6 model or not...

as far as performance goes, I would more than likely end up swapping an H22 into the car if I end up going with the 4-cyl model so I'd be right around 190-200hp, 160ish tq.
on the other hand, the stock V6 comes with 200hp (eh), but damn near 200tq which is REALLY nice- plus I could always do a little p/p action on the heads, I/H/E, cams (if they're even available for the V6's- dunno?), maybe supercharger, or an nsx swap would be friggin awesome if I could ever find one, etc etc... and I already pretty much have a good V6 bottom end laying around.

I do like the fact that the V6s have 6-speed trannys available, whereas the 4cyl don't. I also like that the V6s have aLOT more torque. But the V6 model for model (EX 4cyl vs EX 6cyl) is roughly around ~300lbs heavier. But thats also considering 5-lug, bigger wheels, bigger brakes, etc etc so actually how much heavier the V6 is over the I4, I dunno... plus weight for weight thats figuring a SOHC 4cyl, not a DOHC- not a whole ton of difference but still a few pounds at least.

But I like the 4cyls since thats what I have most experience dealing with (although that can change :wink: ), the 4cyls have assloads of aftermarket support and tons of potential, and parts are far easier to come by.

If I know myself it will probably boil down to whatever I can find cheap with something wrong with it, but other than that I'm torn at this point...

Thoughts, comments?

I think if you want a daily driver you should for the most part leave the car alone. A V6 will give you a much better powerband, obviously. However the 4cyl will probably help your fuel economy, so its a decision you have to make. I would personally take the V6 as I've never had less than a 3/4 smile driving a V6 Accord.

Quoted post[/post]]
I think if you want a daily driver you should for the most part leave the car alone. A V6 will give you a much better powerband, obviously. However the 4cyl will probably help your fuel economy, so its a decision you have to make. I would personally take the V6 as I've never had less than a 3/4 smile driving a V6 Accord.

agreed.not really necessary to swap engines with the 4cyl.it will get the job done as a daily driver .but if you want the more power then go for a v6.my friend has one with a v6.good power and decent gas milage.better mpg then his 4cyl neon.

I would go with the V6 for a DD. The H22 and the J30 have similar power bands, and the difference in gas mileage is negligable. If you can find a 98+ accord V6 in good shape, id go with it.

Back