converting obdI ls/vtec to obdII

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fronomo

like this says, is it possible, and if so, how difficult? i have found a good deal on an ls/vtec swap but it is obdI, and my car is obdII. living in north carolina, this means i have to pass the obd emissions inspection yearly. is it possible to make it so that the motor will pass?

The only thing I can say is make sure your PCV valve is operating normally. Put the highest octane gas in it you can. And a hotter engine will run cleaner. So make sure your car is at normal operation temperature. I suggest taking it down the freeway for a wide open run beforehand and that will clean it out some. Also you could put in a hotter thermostat for the test. Put in hotter plugs. Also set the timing at about 8 degrees. That's all you can do. good luck

You are pretty much completely WRONG. Running higher octane gas than the engine requires does nothing except cost more money. If your engine is running hotter than normal operating temp it will raise the NOx emissions and likely make you fail. Changing the thermostat to a higher opening temp will also raise combustion chamber temps and raise NOx. Setting the timing to 8 degrees will also hurt emissions since it should be around double that.

Fronomo, if you have an emissions test that's anything like CA that motor won't pass no matter what you do. You should check to see if it's legal to install an engine that is older than your car first of all because if you do that out here it's an automatic fail even if it does pass emissions.

You are pretty much completely WRONG. Running higher octane gas than the engine requires does nothing except cost more money. If your engine is running hotter than normal operating temp it will raise the NOx emissions and likely make you fail. Changing the thermostat to a higher opening temp will also raise combustion chamber temps and raise NOx. Setting the timing to 8 degrees will also hurt emissions since it should be around double that.

Fronomo, if you have an emissions test that's anything like CA that motor won't pass no matter what you do. You should check to see if it's legal to install an engine that is older than your car first of all because if you do that out here it's an automatic fail even if it does pass emissions.

I'm sorry but your not 100% correct. Here are things I know for fact. The things that were initially done to engines to cut HC and CO output involved increasing the heat inside a car's cylinders. And yes that does create more NOx. BUT only temperatures over 2500°F. If his EGR is working properly and he's got a cat wouldn't he be alright?. And also. Retarding the timing will help lower Nox. I said 8 becuase that's what I had to set my car too (wasn't a honda). It might be different for him but the fact that retarding the timing helps emissions is not arguable. Atleast on a car with a carb. It causes a slower hotter burn, in turn lowering HC and CO emissions. You just have to bring the idles speed back up with the idle screw on the carburetor to let in more air. It may not work the same way with newer car's but it certainly does with older ones.

well the guy i got it from said it was obdI, but i ran the vin on the block and checked the casting on the head and it turns out its a 99 block with an 00 head.

Well in that case you should be just fine, and it will also make the swap easier as well. If everything is working properly you should have no problem at all passing emissions I've never needed to use any tricks to make a Honda engine pass unless it's heavily modified or worn out.

yeah, not going heavily modified. just throwin together honda OEM parts to make a good n/a motor. gonna use b16 pistons, ls rods with arp rod bolts (probably shotpeen and balance rotating assembly) gsr oil and water pumps, ACL main and rod bearings, possibly itr cams and dual valve springs and probably b16 transmission

Back