1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant in cylinders

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by neveragain, Oct 28, 2004.

1. neveragain

neveragain Junior Member

I just got around to swapping a built head/intake on a b18c1. The head was sent out; got a port, new valves, guides, springs, retainers, seals. Intake is an edelbrock.

I took the stock head/intake off labeled everything and swapped on the new setup. With all new head and intake gaskets. When I goto crank the car it will start if the antifreeze is low or emtpy. With full coolant it wont start. If I take the plugs out there's coolant in the cylinders.

I've double check all the vac and coolant lines and everything is correct. So I'm not sure if it's something stupid I overlooked or major.

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Did you resurface the head and block? They may not be flat...

3. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

compression test...

sounds like its def major head gasket leak

4. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

yup- haedgasket is spent.

do a compression and leak down test

5. neveragain

neveragain Junior Member

I think the head was cut slightly, I have to check over my receipt and specs. Block was untouched.

I had a feeling about the head gasket. I ordered an OEM one this time instead of the Fel-Pro I was using.

Hopefully that will resolve the problem. I'm running out of patience and money for this project. Thanks again for the responces...

6. Arachnid

Arachnid Senior Member

funny, i just did a head swap and to my dissaray after we did all the work of putting it on and stuff like that it turned up white smoke. did a quick compression check and 60psi in cylinder #3. popped the head back out and straight edged the block.....out of spec of .004in. hahaha

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted