1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant Temp Sensor Light

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by EKDRIFTER, Jul 19, 2003.

1. EKDRIFTER

EKDRIFTER Junior Member

ok...i would like a WARNING LIGHT for when my engine is starting to OVERHEAT...how would i go to install one....

I would use my stock SENSOR but i would be useless because the "warning light" would light up when my fan starts... or can i wire up a RESISTOR so at a specific TEMP/VOLT the LED lights up? if so...do tell what resistor should i be looking for

or adding another COOLANT TEMP SENSOR of another vehicle that engages the fans at a (NOT TO HIGH) temp so i can replace the whole engage fans of that sensor and just wire a warning light (or buzzard).

thanks in advance

2. HardLowrdRanger

HardLowrdRanger Member

Well... A little info might be appropriate... Your sensor does not run the fan, the ECU does... If you tell me what setup (OBD0, OBD1, OBD2) you're running and what ECU you have I may be able to throw a few ideas at you...

P.S. - are you really that paranoid that your engine is going to overheat? =P

James

3. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

Actually, the ECU doesn't run the fan at all. Look at a Helm's manual...nowhere does it have the wires from the ECT switches go back to the ECU. The switch (or switches depending on the engine) tell the fans when to turn on.

4. HardLowrdRanger

HardLowrdRanger Member

I was under the impression the fan was ran by the ECU... at pin A12 on OBD1... A27 on OBD2a... A20 on OBD2b... =)

5. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

Hmm, I'll have to go look at my Helm's then. Could be that I'm a moron.

6. EKDRIFTER

EKDRIFTER Junior Member

ok i have a D16Y7 engine...with OBD2 ECU (Stock ECU)

and yes im a way paranoid about overheating...have changed my HEAD GASKET a few times cuz of overheating....now i want some precaution...

throw them ideas HardLowrdRanger...i'll catch em

7. HardLowrdRanger

HardLowrdRanger Member

Damn obd2.. =P If you were on obd0 or obd1 I'd reprogram you to throw an engine light when you got above a certain temp and/or use an output for an LED or whatever you wanted... I'll keep thinking about what to do for you... Hopefully I'll get another idea but I have a headache right now...

James

8. EKDRIFTER

EKDRIFTER Junior Member

ok man....ill be waiting for your response...

btw....any other ideas???

9. HardLowrdRanger

HardLowrdRanger Member

Nope not that I can think of... Maybe blundar can throw in an idea here... I'll ask him to check out the thread tomorrow...

James

10. ohmstable

ohmstable Senior Member

A circuit shouldn't be too hard to build. Something that monitors the Coolant temp sensor, and when the sensors outputs a certain voltage then it turns on a led. I first have to check to see what the sensor voltage is at normal operating temp. I'll see what I can come up with.

11. ChrisSiR

ChrisSiR Senior Member

do you not have a coolant temp guage? :blink: if so, why do you need a light to pop on when you can watch the guage..

if not, put in an aftermarket guage with temp readings on it so you can see how hot it really gets....

Chris

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted