Cooling System Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

S13Less

okay, so i top off my radiator and fill the reservoir tank to max. i pop my hood later in the day and the reservoir has almost twice as much coolant in there. is this normal? and when i remove the cap, it bubbles in the reservoir. normal?

how much am i supposed to loosen the bleeder screw to bleed air out of the system?

can a small leak at the heater control valve cause my crx to be overheating? (i've replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses, reservoir, flushed, fyi) i know it's leaking but i don't see how it could really cause my crx to want to overheat. it doesn't really overheat but it gets close sometimes like after i drive it a little hard. i don't lose much coolant/water at all, i don't blow steam out my tailpipe, but damn... it's getting irritating.

what kind of test can i perform to tell if it's my headgasket? leak-down? compression?

i did a pressure check to find out it was my heater valve leaking.

i had the same problem in my crx, i would fill it up... and the resivor would be 2 times as full the next day... it was a head gasket for me... if ur blowin out steam , it is most likely a head gasket... if you run your car for a while then it gets hot, its a head gasket... but if i was you, juss watch it and try n find out if its that...

i'm not spitting out steam/white smoke from my tailpipe. it doesn't just get hot when i just drive it... usually i have to drive it kinda hard, but sometimes it just goes up a little without doing anything different. but lately, it's been two and a half days and the temperature has stayed completely normal even after gunning it in the first three gears redlining and going up to a hundred in fourth and fifth on different ocassions.

how long does it usually take to bleed air from the cooling system?

Originally posted by S13Less@May 18 2003, 11:45 PM

how long does it usually take to bleed air from the cooling system?

Not long.Fill it up,then turn it till bubbles come out.Once it stops bubbling it is done.

Fill your rad. to the bottom of the neck,replace you cap a half turn,then run your motor till the fan comes on twice.Then let cool a bit then remove cap and replace any fluid that needs to be.Then refill res. if it is empty.

just replaced the heater valve and checked for leaks... took it for a test drive. regular driving seemed fine. dropped the hammer in second and third, then coasted... 30 seconds later, temperature went up to about 3/4 and stayed there... waited to see if it would cool off on its own. turned on the heater fan on full blast. took a minute to cool back down. continued to drive the 20 miles home and had to keep the heater on at least 1 to keep the temperature normal.

this morning, filled up radiator and reservoir, bled... drove to school and work fine in 83 deg weather, but no mashing it. heater valve and hoses don't leak.

its probably thermoswitch if the fan doesnt work or its the head gasket..i have had the same problem before too and it was the gasket

importimage, i replaced the thermostat... read the original post.

thermoswitch... hmm, how would i check it?

does the bottom hose have hot water running through it?? or is it cold to the touch??

pull of the 2 pin connector on the thermostat and jump it w/ a paperclip.. if the fan turns on, then your fan relay is working properly

i haven't checked the lower radiator hose... but i got a question. how would u "jump" the 2-pin connector for the thermostat? sorry, i just don't want to short anything u know.

Back