Cost to build B18c1 to 200whp+ and allow for future boosting?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1320B4U

Hi, I have a 1995 GSR that was previously used for autocross or track...not too sure (it came with a cross-bar? for camera mounting right behind the front seats). The car is very clean (no dings, perfect interior) and has name-brand everything- suspension, brakes, wheels, I/H/E, APEXi Vtec controller, etc.

I haven't done a C/R check on the engine yet, but it feels a little slow (I've had two other GS-R's). In light of the car being pretty much perfect otherwise (handling and braking), I was contemplating an engine build. I was in high school autoshop for 2 years and my first ride was a 1991 Eclipse GSX...and if you know anything about DSM's you know they force their owners to become quite the mechanic (or they just sell them lol)...but, I haven't seriously messed with any imports since the GSX aside from the normal bolt-ons.

a) I was thinking of supercharging it and just molesting it until it goes, but I was wondering if that's a bad idea (damage to the block if a rod snaps?).

b) On ebay, they have forged rod/piston sets for $650-800, good price?.
What are all the other internal parts that should be replaced during a performance oriented build (besides the obvious bearings, seals, gaskets, etc)? replace oil pump? how much will the total run, roughly?

c) What compression do most people use when they supercharge?

d) Should I bore the block? By how much? Can local machine shops do it, or would I be better off sending it to a Honda/Acura/tuner shop? What does it usually run $$$ ?

e) LSD. Buy an LSD trans or go aftermarket?

f) who makes the best clutches for GS-R's? Aftermarket flywheel worth it?

g) Engine management. What are the most cost effective ECU's? Hondata? How much would it cost to dyno-tune? Is wideband O2 worth it on a supercharged engine?

I'm sure I have more questions, but thanks in advance for answering any (or all :D) of the above.

I've read some of your posts and you seem to know your stuff, so can I just ask you a few questions?

If you had budget of around $3,000-4,000 for engine and drivetrain, what would you do (N/A setup) and how much power do you think it would make?

If you had a B18c1 that needs to handle a supercharger, what would you do and how much power do you think it would make (w/supercharger) ?

I am kind of torn between N/A and boost as my last two cars (Altima SE-R and CL Type-S) were torque monsters compared to B-series engines...yet I am drawn to F1 style power bands and I do think it's more of a WOW factor to have a fast all-motor car.

What are you rolling BTW?

1900. 00 stroker kit 2.2 B.C. 12.1comp
750.00 importbuilder sleeves 84.mm
440.00 B.C. stage2 cams
375.00 B.C. springs +retainers
200.00 skunk2 intake
250 ITR replica header
-----------------------------
230HP +

Back