Couple noob questions.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16EF

So I got my first Honda a week ago. It's a 89 civic si. It's got a b16. Crx seats and dash. Other then that I have no idea what i got. I was told it's has a p28. But I don't know how to tell. It's got a check engine light for what i was told an O2 sensor. And I have the harness and a 4 wire heater oxygen sensor. But no idea how to wire it up. Also no idea what kinda of trans it has. I can get the number off it tomorrow at work. Any help is much appreciated.

Side note. I don't have a pc. Just an iPad. How do I upload pics?

Welcome to Hondaswap!

You can check the ECU by looking at the label on the end. It's located under the passenger footwell carpet against the firewall on your car. Once you unbolt the ECU, there will be a label with a bunch of letters and numbers on it. The first three should be followed be a dash- those first three are your ECU code (if I'm remembering right). You can always just post the whole number up here and we'll be able to tell you what it is.

O2 sensor- you can wire it straight to your ECU or find the right plug to wire it into in your engine bay. Get a Helms factory service manual if you're going to do more for your car after this- or "find" one online. They're worth their weight in gold for the cars that Helms publishes for. The manual will tell you where every single wire needs to go.

The number helps on the transmission, but not always. A good way to tell is to find out your cruising RPM vs speed in top gear- that's a good way to see exactly what your 5th gear ratio is, which can help you figure out which transmission you have.

iPad, not sure. Apple doesn't like to give its users control over individual files.

You could always post the pictures to Facebook and link to them here... that'll probably be your best and easiest way to do it.

Back