couple random questions...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ohsosikcivic

Hot mess
stock piston size of a B18B in mm?

and if i need to have my cylinders bored... is that considered part of the stock sleeve?

how much does it cost roughly... i know thats a vauge question to have a 4 cyl block bored over? or honed?

It's around $100 to have a 4cyl bored & honed in this area.

What exactly are you looking to do? Hard to answer your questions based on that info.

All 1.6, 1.7, and 1.8L B-series motors have a stock bore of 81mm.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by asking if it's considered part of the stock sleeve, but what happens when you have your block bored is they take material out of the existing cylinders in order to remove imperfections in the cylinder walls - you're going to have to use oversized pistons any time you do any type of boring, but don't worry, every piston manufacturer (even Honda) offers pistons in .5mm increments above stock bore size.

Plan on spending around $100 or so, depending on the machine shop. Keep in mind that in order to have ANY bore/hone work done, you will HAVE to bring the machine shop the pistons that you're going to be installing - they'll set it up to the tolerances you specify in relation to the exact dimensions of the pistons you bring them. If a machine shop tells you that they can bore your block oversize without you bringing the pistons, you should run away from them as fast as you can.

well pretty much... im building a B18B for FI and its my first build... so i wanted to make sure i buy the right sized pistons... so if i need it honed or bored there not gonna be to small if i get stock size. you cant really tell from just looking into a stock block if it needs to be just honed or bored out...

and the sleeve question im just clueless about. thats just what i assume

I would either take your block to the machine shop and have it inspected to see if you can run a stock bore, or just buy oversized pistons to start with and have the block bored to match.

oh ok... so safe to say... that if i baught 82mm pistons i should be ok? given theres not somthing drastically wrong with the block?

doing that, is that gonna effect how much boost i can run by having it bored?

If there isn't anything in the cylinders that you can snag a fingernail on, you'll probably be OK running stock bore, but you should still take it to a machine shop just in case. If you only go to 82mm, you should be fine running boost unless you have a crappy tune. In FI builds, there's almost always something else that will fail before your cylinders do. If you want to be on the safe side, before you take your block in to have it bored/honed, install a block guard (you can pick one up from Golden Eagle for around $90, if memory serves correct). This will give you a little more support, but you absolutely MUST install it BEFORE you have your block bored/honed.

Also, a while back there was some hype about a certain member of the Honda community filling his water jackets with epoxy and drilling coolant holes - DO NOT under ANY circumstances do this to your motor. It WILL destroy your block.

ok so ill be fine running boost with a 82mm piston... what i think im gonna do is just get the block done first... if i get it simply honed... i can use stock sized pistons?

It's probably going to cost you close to the same to get it bored and honed. You CAN just get it honed and run stock sized pistons, but if I were you and I hadn't bought pistons yet, I'd just go .20 over and get a set of 81.5mm pistons...but maybe that's just me.

It's probably going to cost you close to the same to get it bored and honed. You CAN just get it honed and run stock sized pistons, but if I were you and I hadn't bought pistons yet, I'd just go .20 over and get a set of 81.5mm pistons...but maybe that's just me.

sounds awesome to me! i appreciate ur help... :D

No problem, and good luck with your build! If you have any other questions don't hesitate to post up.

ok so going along with this...

i called a local machine shop today and they said, bore'd hone'd and powerwashed and whatever they use to clean the block... 365.. and he sounds like he knows what hes talking about. does that sound like a fair price? or does anyone know a shop in the RI area... even southern mass or eastern CT that might be cheeper that will do a good job?

damn, that sounds crazy expensive. For that much I'd expect the fuckin' thing decked assembled...it doesn't cost them ANYTHING to set it in a powerwasher and let it run for an hour or so.

really? thast what i thought if someone was telling me that 100 bucks would get it bored and honed... i guess ill have to look else,ware

Back