Crank Bearings....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RFHOMI2U

Ok, The CRX is off the road ( Boosted B18A ) and the engine seized this summer while I was driving slightly after hearing a rattling noise from the bottom of the engine. I am assuming it was a crank bearing going bad. This was just after the engine severely overheated earlier that day without me knowing. If the problem is a crank bearing that got jammed, is it possible to find out and change this by removing the oil pan and head?

Winter is almost here, and I'm trying to avoid having to pull the engine back out again. I mess something up everytime I do that. Can I possibly change these bearings with the engine still in the car?

if ti sized it could be way more than a bearing and if it crapped out you need to pull the crank and have it machined. you can pull the crank with the engine in the car.

Well, I know I have to drop the pan, but if the crank bearings are bad, it is possible to change them, and it's even possible to pull the crank with the engine still in? How is that? wouldn't I have to pull the tranny to get the crank off considering it's attatched to the flywheel? If I have to pull the tranny, I might as well pull the engine. I have a cherry picker, it's no big deal. Just a pain in the ass.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Oct 5 2004, 07:25 PM
you can pull the crank with the engine in the car.
[post=398742]Quoted post[/post]​

How are you going to do that without pullling the tranny? If you're pulling the tranny, you might as well pull the whole motor.

Not to mention that if its a crank bearing that went bad, chances are the main cap surfaces are scoured and need to be machined as well.

its easier to pull the engine. makes it easier trying to put bolts and gaskets in, if you have an engine stand(cause you can flip it over)

hands down on taking out the engine. no easier way. try doing the crank with engine in your car and by the time you're done your car would be bashed up with an angry and pissed off hammer.

Back