1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crank Pulley Question

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by randerson165, Oct 29, 2003.

1. randerson165

randerson165 Senior Member

Is it a bad idea to change my factory pulleys with lighter ones ? I'm looking to get a little more low end torque. Also, where can I find a tool so that I can loosen my crank pulley. I want to loosen my timing belt and I can't find the tool that you use to hold the crank pulley still.

2. tab

tab Super Moderator

1/2" breaker bar and the right socket through the fenderwell behind the tire will hold the engine ok, if you hold on to it. I good 1/2" air ratchet should take off the pulley bolt for you. Otherwise, that same breaker bar and a cheater pipe might do the trick.

3. randerson165

randerson165 Senior Member

But is it bad to change out the crank pulley or any other pulleys ? I heard the factory pulleys are balanced and aftermarket ones aren't. I just don't want to mess up my engine.

4. gocivicls

gocivicls Senior Member

I have one, my buddy has one, both cars taken apart and no wear to be seen!

There has been a lot of arguments about this one and people have had different results aparently.

I asked Bill at Hendrins Racing and he said No. Not on the 4 cylinder motor due to the balence across the crank. One and Four turn at the same rate so the crank will not twist causing premature bearing falure Like V8's w/ out a harmonic balencer. Unorthadox backed him on this one. So did Other manufacturers. Of course all of them made the pulleys, so they would.

Besides wouldn't a Lightwieght flywheel have the same damaging affect. :blink:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted