Crank Pulley Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

Is it a bad idea to change my factory pulleys with lighter ones ? I'm looking to get a little more low end torque. Also, where can I find a tool so that I can loosen my crank pulley. I want to loosen my timing belt and I can't find the tool that you use to hold the crank pulley still.

1/2" breaker bar and the right socket through the fenderwell behind the tire will hold the engine ok, if you hold on to it. I good 1/2" air ratchet should take off the pulley bolt for you. Otherwise, that same breaker bar and a cheater pipe might do the trick.

But is it bad to change out the crank pulley or any other pulleys ? I heard the factory pulleys are balanced and aftermarket ones aren't. I just don't want to mess up my engine.

I have one, my buddy has one, both cars taken apart and no wear to be seen!

There has been a lot of arguments about this one and people have had different results aparently.

I asked Bill at Hendrins Racing and he said No. Not on the 4 cylinder motor due to the balence across the crank. One and Four turn at the same rate so the crank will not twist causing premature bearing falure Like V8's w/ out a harmonic balencer. Unorthadox backed him on this one. So did Other manufacturers. Of course all of them made the pulleys, so they would.

Besides wouldn't a Lightwieght flywheel have the same damaging affect. :blink:

Back