Crank sensor code !

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dubkiller

I installed a new distributor on my 2000 si and now i have a check engine light and the engine wont rev past 3200rpm! The engine runs fine at a idle! Wondering if any one knows what i screwed up to get the crank sensor code?

did you possibly get your plug wires mixed up? that is if you removed them from the cap. did you have this code or check engine light on before replacing the distributor? if so most likely need to reset the ECU if you didn't. let me know the answers to these questions then we can go from there. also was the actual code?

Last edited:
There are a couple of sensors in the distributor that will trigger a code if they go out. Perhaps your new distributor is defective.

so i'm having a similar problem. 91 crx with a b16 swap. have always had the CEL come on...only comes on once car is warmed up...THOUGHT it was the vtec solenoid code, but vtec worked, and had no adverse affects that i could tell, so i never messed with it. well just recently it developed a new trick of having horrible "sputtering" basically, and wouldnt' rev past 3250, but i could go to that rpm in each gear. it got progressively worse (from doing it some of the time) to then completly dying as soon as it was started. throwing code 23 and 4, knock sensor and crankshaft position sensor. replaced plugs/wires/rotor/cap first, becuase i knew how and wanted to try it, still did the same thing....got a new distributor in. turns out the guy who did my swap, used...a im not sure distributor. but only the top bolt was holding it on, one bolt position had a...metal strap on it, to hold the bolt, but wasn't tight. turns out this is likely why it leaked some oil from that location....
Seems to work ok now. drove a half hour and it worked. my CEL still comes on, and throws the same codes, 4 and 23, but didn't experience the sputtering like before. this is really long, and may need its own thread, but i hadn't found anyone else with the same "3250" rpm problems. thanks in advance!

well honda dist. have a magnetic pick-up for a cam sensor in the dist. I would say if the code came after you replaced the dist. that the new one is defective. Warrenty it, and your check engine light sould go away.

their is also a magnetic pick-up for a crank sensor in the dist. because honda, acura does not use a external crank or cam sensor.

RayBoost

I'm having a similar issue with my car,it revs very lazy and i have an idle issue. I have a 95 EG6 SiR 2 with TCS and ABS. Code 9 came up and have been told by many technicians to change the distributor which i have done many times and still can't get rid of the code. The TCS light is also on.

iv just bout a b16a vtech engine but it has no crank sensore on it but my old b16a vtech does is it possable to take the crank sensor of my old engine and put it on the new one and how would i go about dooing so if you could help that would b great thank you

Back