crank sensor connector?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

97CTR

I just swapped in a 97 b16b into my 97 ex. I have all of my sensors and connectors accounted for except for the crank sensor. The ex engine has a crank position sensor connection coming out of the block. The type r engine does not have this connection, what do I do? Leave it disconnected, pull the pin from the ecu, Does the type r have a crank position sensor? Please help I'm almost done!!!!!!!!

when doing a swap make sure all the sensors are plugged in that are on the motor that you are putting in, dont worry to much about what used to be there as long as you plan on using the correct ecu for the motor.

in other words, if the motor that you are putting into the car doesnt' have the sensor don't worry about the sensor AS LONG AS you are using the right ECU.

Darin

i thought obd II motors have crank angle sensors.

from my understanding the crank angle sensor is located in the oil pump for obd II motors. obd I motors have a crank angle sensor also but it's not located in the oil pump.

obd II ecus (even obd I) ecu's look for the sensor.

The crank angle sensor is located in the distributor on both the sohc and dohc engine. The sensor on the oil pump is called the crank fluctuation sensor or something like that, and the JDM engines don't have it. Just plug everything else in, use the type-r ECU and you will be all set.

ok i've got everything connected and the engine turns over but I am not getting any spark. I am using the type r ecu, PCT

I am wondering if the distributor is bad, the cap and rotor are good. Could it be because of different obdII versions?

Turn the distributor 180 degrees. If this doesn't work then makesure you are at Top Dead Center while installing the distributor. I had the same problem.

Originally posted by dwn2low@Aug 3 2003, 08:21 AM
Turn the distributor 180 degrees. If this doesn't work then makesure you are at Top Dead Center while installing the distributor. I had the same problem.

Exactly, make sure you get TDC before installing the distributor or else it will go on wrong. If all else fails,
1. Try another distributor from a B Series motor that fits
2. Replace the ignitor in the distributor instead of the whole distributor. The ignitor is usually the problem not the whole distributor.

found the problem to being 90 degrees out of time in the cams, but no bent valves, its running great

Back