Cranks but wont start???New head gasket D15B7????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lionsfreak

Hey so heres the deal, I changed out my head gasket in my 93' DX(D15B7) and used Arp head studs now it wont start. It has been sitting since last fall, it cranks and sounds like something is about to come out of the exhaust but never catches. There are new plugs and I pulled them out and they smell like gas and turned black. I also pulled out my AC and the fan. I double checked my timing and plug wires and they look fine. Could it be the gas there is about half a tank. I am really stumped here and pissed as hell, a simple head gasket and nothing. Please help, thanks

Are you getting spark? It sounds like your not or maybe a week spark. Any codes being thrown? If your getting spark, I would def. recheck which wires are going to which cylinders. -Gary

I did use a spark tester and am getting spark, I also checked my wiring. I am not getting any codes thats what is so frusterating. You would think if anything it would be so simple. Thanks any other ideas????

Yeah it is...........(i know), So here is the update I got it started and it stays running fine at idle. After letting it run for awhile, I started to gas it and it seems to be cutting out(timing???) and sounds loud as hell. It sounds like I have my ear next to a short ram intake while flooring it but I have the stock air box on it again. I took it out for a spin and yeah, I loss all power when I floor it. I think I should get a timing light huh???

Well I got it running, I changed the plug wires and now it starts fine. It runs fine now but after getting warmed up it gets really hot, really hot. Like overheating hot. So I tried a new thermostat and the cooling fan is working fine, still getting hotter than hell. Would it be some kind of sensor or something??? I got nothing..,,,,,!!!

I haven't tried putting anymore gas in the tank(half full). Another thing is I was having this overheating problem before I ended up blowing my headgasket. The idle is messed up when it gets hot too, it revs up and down up and down its f**king weird. I also tried a new thermo, and flushing the radiator but that was over a year and half ago.....Of coursae this car has sat for about a year as well.

My cooling fan isnt coming on, I got a good fuse and relay. I direct wired the plug to the fan its self and it works. And I have continuity between that plug and relay. Is there anything else that wouldn't let it come on. I also have white smoke coming out of the exhaust when I am driving but not at idle. What the hell is that???

Yeah the thermostat switch, I have a guy that has like four or five D series engines sitting in his garage. I just need to go over there and get one from him. I think the smoke was just from the gasket on the headers getting "burned in", the smoke has seemed to stop. Does that sound right? Or maybe just all the oil all over everthing else being burned off? I also flushed the radiator, but for know I just wired in a toggle on the fan for a temp. fix, till I get a new switch...

It did temp. fix the overheating but that toggle thing is pretty hokey. I need to try that other switch. Do you think that smoke was just oil burning or the new gaskets, either one maybe?

Well I got it running, I changed the plug wires and now it starts fine. It runs fine now but after getting warmed up it gets really hot, really hot. Like overheating hot. So I tried a new thermostat and the cooling fan is working fine, still getting hotter than hell. Would it be some kind of sensor or something??? I got nothing..,,,,,!!!
sounds like the distributer is 180* off put the motor at top dead center take the distributer off and make sure the gruves are lined up. i had this prob once ran fine i idal than hit the gas and it broke up.

i had this problem with my 91 GSR swap...the gas sat in the tank for the last 5 monthes when it was being swapped and it just ran like shit on that gas...filled her up with a full tank of 93 octane and she runs like a champ

same thing happened do my b18a1 and yes its impossible to have the dizzy 180* off it only goes in one way. check for compression if you have no compression your vbalves might need adjusted. they couyld be opedned when there supposed to be closed. not sure if its the same for sohc but thats wat was wrong with mine. if its not that. take off your dizzy cap and make sure that the rotor button is pointintg to the number one spark plug

So it is running fine as far as staying running and power wise. It is however overheating, the coling fan isn't coming on at all. I have a good fuse and relay, but my relay isn't getting any signal(ground) to kick the fan on. I think it is the thermostat switch, that grounds out when the coolant gets to a certain temp.. Does anyone know, I think it is actually located on the thermostat itself???

The thermostat switch is located on the side of the thermostat housing - on the engine side of the lower rad hose. I'm having a similar problem, my fan isn't coming on but it's not overheating. I checked fuse and relay and both are good so this is my next step (the coolant temp switch)

Back