Crankshaft Pully Removal

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i am trying to remove the bolt holding on the crankshaft pully but i can not get it out. i have even tried using a impact wrench but it still wont budge. if anybody has any ideas on how to get it out i would appreciate it thanks

is the pulley moving while you are trying to unbolt it? if so you need to stick a screwdriver in the flywheel to keep it from turning. if you did that you need a impact wrench with a higher torque capacity and/or more air pressure.

If the screwdriver trick isn't working, get a breaker bar and a steel/iron pipe to slip over the end of it. Mechanical advantage works wonders.

Moving to the correct forum, by the way....

if the motor is out of the car take it somewhere and have it broken loose, if not spray some pb blaster then use a breakerbar

If motor is still in car, then put in 5th gear, and step on the brakes.
Then use a very long braker bar with a 1/2" drive to turn that sucker!
Make sure your going in the right direction! :lol:

ixnay on the sarcasm, how do u pull of the alternator pulley? I would like to change my crank pulley and alternator pulley. The crank pulley still has the ac and p/s on it. something I would like to change to a single pulley.

is the alternator pulley a press on or screwed on with a nut? the press on needs a puller you can borrow from autozone. for nuts, the easiest way is to get an air ratchet, the kind that doesnt stop when you let off the trigger. set it to tighten, get it going full rpm (after taking it off the car, on a bench), then hit reverse and it will loosen the nut right off. you could also use a corded electric drill the same way.

i finally got the damn thing off i was able to lock the flyweel in place and use a big ass breaker bar, then it was on to changing the timing belt and even more problems. auto tensioners suck, but after a few hours a messing with it i finaly got it on. thanks for the advice on the pully

hahah, i always have that dilema when i have motors out of the ride. Crowbar on old flywheel pinned and then breaker bar on crankpulley bolt.

Milan

i do have air tools but my impact wrench was not strong enough to get it out so it was back to the good old big ass breaker bar. i love my impact wrench that was the first thing that it wouldn't take out.

Back