Crankshaft??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

spydy43

I am having a motor rebuilt right now and the shop wants to put a reground crankshaft on that is .25mm under spec. Will this be OK for a setup that will run 190-200hp off a turbo? Is there anything else to check for and what type of bearings should be run since OEM really would not apply with this crank? Will this be ok instead of purchasing a new $800 crankshaft from honda?? I need to let the shop now asap.

Your stock crankshaft should be able to handle 190-200hp with no problems unless it's damaged in some way in which case you should get a new one. From the way you explained it sounds like they are just trying to get some more money out of you. Best of luck to you with your set up.

Why would they put a crankshaft in that is under spec? That makes no sence. There is a reason there are specs to go by when building and engine. I wouldn't fuck with it. That or find a different shop or ask them to show you how it is out of spec. Trust no one. If you spun a bearing and scared the crank i would just go with another one. I destroyed my crank in my ZC huge groves all around the journal on the # 3 and #2 cyl. I just got a new crank even with a dealership discount it was like 700 bones. Oh well.

I did spin a bearing. So should I go with the reground crank for like $100 bucks will I be ok or do I need to go with a brand new crank?

If you look around you can find a crank for a lot less than a dealership. I just picked up a gsr crank for 200. With a reground crank if the right bearings are used to get the proper clearances, it should not make a difference.

Back