Crvtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

saggleman

before anybody says it, i know these swaps are hella expensive to do right. what i want to know is, how are they? all i've seen is numbers, and theyre all impressive, but that doesnt say anything about driveability etc. anybody take them autocrossing? daily driver? how reliable are they? is it worth the 4-7 grand?

great for autoX
great for daily driving
as reliable as you build it to be
for what you get, yeah id say its worth it

my brother has a B20Z/VTEC with t3/t4 turbo in CRX......if it's highly modified, i really don't know if it's good for a daily driver....don't know about autocross.

Originally posted by viciousracing@Mar 5 2003, 10:41 AM
my brother has a B20Z/VTEC with t3/t4 turbo in CRX......if it's highly modified, i really don't know if it's good for a daily driver....don't know about autocross.

with that set up it would probally not be the best for AutoX because it is turboed. A turbo in autoX puts you in a class so high it is almost impossible to win plus turbo lag sucks for AutoX.

A NA CRVTEC is great for AutoX. The engine it self is light so it does not screw up handling, if built right, you have trq anywhere on the track. Only down side is you have to get real good brakes otherwise you will be knocking down some cones real easily.

well, im kinda new the the CR/Vtec. i have done some research, but on average, what kind of horse power and torque would be expected if one was to do a b20z block with a b16a head? thanx in advance guys,
-Omar

Originally posted by vroomvroomHB@Mar 12 2003, 02:13 PM
well, im kinda new the the CR/Vtec. i have done some research, but on average, what kind of horse power and torque would be expected if one was to do a b20z block with a b16a head? thanx in advance guys,
-Omar

It depends on the build.... identical builds produce different amounts of power too. If you keep all the parts stock though, you could probably be looking at about 160hp/120lbft to the ground with a B20Z/B16A. That's just a guess though- you'll have to get on the dyno to really find out. If you want to see a dyno sheet of my mildly built B20/VTEC setup, click on the link in my sig and check it out.

Calesta, you might have just helped me make a decision on my swap :)

If you don't mind could you post how much all those gooddies and the swap cost?

I also noticed that you have a four-door, can you tell me what you run in the quarter?

Originally posted by ZeonZaku@Mar 12 2003, 05:27 PM
Calesta, you might have just helped me make a decision on my swap :)

If you don't mind could you post how much all those gooddies and the swap cost?

I also noticed that you have a four-door, can you tell me what you run in the quarter?

:) Cool deal.

$6000 installed for the build and swap.

Extras on the list not included in that price:
ACT Clutch
VAFC
310cc injectors
Intake
Header
Exhaust
AC bracket
PS bracket
Auto to manual conversion

I never got a good quarter mile run in... but I pulled a 15.6 @ 96mph with lots of wheel hop on the start and missing 2nd gear if that means anything to you. The car doesn't really weigh any more than a coupe- those extra 2 doors only add about 40 pounds. The car definitely had the potential to run mid 13s, considering the kinds of cars that I've beaten, and compared to a 14.5 second Civic that I ran over and over and over again.

Kills: https://hondaswap.com/~mike/swap/kills.html

Calesta, do you can I ask which head you have on your b20? Also too, if anyone knows tha answer, which head would be the best to use on a b20 if i want to go turbo later down the road? I currently have a 96' LS Integra and would like to know which engine would be really good for turbo later on. Im deciding between the b20 with a gsr head or just a gsr engine. thanks in advanced
-kevin
(and sorry for the stupid newbie questions)

B16 head... read my web page. It's linked in my sig.

There's not too much difference between the GSR and B16 head for a B20/VTEC setup- just pick whichever one's cheaper and easier to get. The GSR head is usually hard to find compared to the B16, plus the B16 head is easier to tune because it doesn't have two sets of intake runners.

If you want to turbo your engine, just boost what you have. The B18B is already a great platform to turbo on.

I would turbo my current engine but its ready to die on me, any toher engine good for boosting? What would be better to put a turbo on, a b20 with a b16 head, or a gsr engine? thanks

Awesome kills! :eek:

The CRVtech does sound nice, I wonder how cheap I can get it for in Cali. Also how reliable has it been for you? I need something good for light daily commuting.

Originally posted by mrfd3s@Mar 13 2003, 12:17 AM
I would turbo my current engine but its ready to die on me, any toher engine good for boosting? What would be better to put a turbo on, a b20 with a b16 head, or a gsr engine? thanks

Too many factors. You can build a B20/VTEC any way you want, and you can tune a GSR turbo any way you want.

Originally posted by ZeonZaku@Mar 13 2003, 12:47 AM
Awesome kills! :eek:

The CRVtech does sound nice, I wonder how cheap I can get it for in Cali. Also how reliable has it been for you? I need something good for light daily commuting.

Thanks. VTEC has no "H" in it. VTECH is a phone...

It was just as reliable as any factory Honda engine for the 45k miles I drove it.

And... it's not legal in Cali.

Doh, well that always seems to happen.

I guess it is back to the GSR, and seeing what I can sneak by reffs.

::Edit:: I read through the post again and realized you (Calesta) don't have the CRVtec anymore? What happened?

Originally posted by ZeonZaku@Mar 13 2003, 02:55 AM
::Edit:: I read through the post again and realized you (Calesta) don't have the CRVtec anymore? What happened?

Driver error. I blew it up. A new, stronger, more powerful one is being built right now.

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 12 2003, 06:42 PM
but I pulled a 15.6 @ 96mph

damn- i never realized how shitty this time is!!!

steve went 13.8@96 so it was easily a 13 second car.

Exactly. The 15.6 @ 96 will actually be MUCH faster- that was coasting for a second while sleepily hunting for the right gear. Estimate something above 100mph, and that's where I would have been. Translate that over to ET and you can guess how fast it could be.

Back