CRX Auto to Manual questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bryan-55gmc

I have a 1991 crx automatic and got an extra motor and L3 5 speed with it.

It appears to be a 3.25 final gear - HF cal. transmission.

This is the set-up I want as I am shooting for gas mileage more than performance.

Here are the questions I have:

1. CPU - can I buy mileage chip and use the CPU I have specify 5 speed when I buy chip? or do I need to buy 5 speed CPU?

2. Will current CPU work, just not run as well?

2. Will the axles work for both auto and manual?

3. Has anyone used chips on EBAY? If so, did you notice any improvement performance or mileage?

I have pedals, cable, transmission, mounts and looking for the last details before I start so that I am not w/o a car for very long.

Appreciate any information.

Thanks,
Bryan

I just finished my auto-manual swap so I should be able to help..

1. Auto and Manual ECUs are different. One is programmed to change gears and the other one is not. I'm sure if you tried a auto ecu you would get a crapload of codes.

2. Same as #1.

3. I also heard auto and manual axles are different, not sure becuase I put a B16 in.

4. I heard the Ebay chips are crappy, never used one, probably never will.

SPECIAL NOTES:
The automatic and manual throttle cables are different at the ends.
You will need complete shifter assembly and shift linkages.

READ THIS:
Rywire - Online Store

thanks for good info.

Thanks for the information.

I have researched the ECU and think my best bet is to go to junk yard find car with 5speed and same engine and induction system and pull ecu. all lists and charts I find list same ecu and does not segragate the auto/manual transmission.

If anyone know a pn# for correct ecu, I could used to search craigslist etc. for one that would work, that would be great. I would want one for 91, CRX, 5 speed, dual injection (forget name at moment) not indivdual port.

After reading various articles and your input on the ebay ecu chip, I will stay far away from them.

I will check into the throttle cable as you mention, THis is something that could be easily overlooked.

Thanks again for all the information

Best regards,

Bryan

No problem. I about died when I realized the throttle cable were different. Take a look under your passenger side carpet, and read the number off of it, and just get that ECU in a 5spd.

It will be a few numbers then the ecu then a few more numbers. Example: 00000-PW0-11111..... PWO would be the ecu.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on the axles also.

Thanks for all the good info.

I think I have everything I need with exception of:

CPU I will write down numbers and check around.

Throttle cable - i may try to switch out pedals instead. Will need to look both over.

I can modify machine a little if it makes sense and is easier than buying/finding one to match.

I think this should be a easy strightforward swap but still like to reasearch as much as possible to minimize surprises.

Thanks again.

Bryan

the auto to manual is a cake walk i did it on my ef hatch and the only thing i had a little bit of trouble with was swapping the pedals...

Pedals

Well that I have already done. Tackling a little at a time. The pedals were not fun. Trying to fit my torso and see was a challange. But I have them in.

I still need a few items before I go to the next step(Clutch disc and pressure plate, manual starter and trans mount)

I am chomping at the bit to get everything so I can finish this. I think the worst is over with the pedals.

Have a great day.

Bryan

Back