CRX B18a1 swap wont go into gear

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ryangt

THe swap was running fine yesterday, it drove perfectly. I parked it and now i cant get it into gear when its running. I had to push it into my garage, and now i cant get it into gear unless its turned off. Then when i go to turn the car over, its surging like the clutch is engaged.
WTF, how did it work one second and not work the next?

Its a 1991 CRX with a b18a1 and YS1 tranny.

any insight would help

sounds like that either your clutch is way out of adjustment or your clutch disc came apart

well thats the thing, because it was running fine untill i had to push it into my garage from the parking lot. I adjusted the clutch cable, but when you push down on the pedal the feel of the pedal is crappy its really rough when you push down.

Wouldnt there be alot of noise and so forth associated with the clutch disk comming apart?

Remove all doubt from the equation.

Pull the transmission, inspect the clutch. Then have the transmission inspected.

well im going to pull it out of the car today hopefully. I stil have no clue as to what im looking for but i dont get how it would work and run just fine, then i park it, and when i come back the tranny is efffed up.

I just went out there again today and tried again, the clutch pedal is really hard to push in, it dosent go down smooth either its sorta shaky?? It was however going into gear, well sorta, it would grind as you tried to pull it into gear, i dont know whats up with this thing people.
Please gimme some info, if i cant fix this its getting sold as is for like 2000

pull the transmission, have it inspected by a shop.
inspect the clutch/throw out bearing etc..

just put the car in gear and then turn it on(obviously make sure nothing is in front of your car, just in case it decides to move) and leave the e-brake off(you don't want your starter to burn out trying to drag the back wheels) and that could help tell you is anything is wrong with your connection or the engine and trans(Like everyone said-pilot bearing, clustchdisc fallen apart, and relase bearing not adjusted right, if you went hydro instead of cable make sure its not leaking and everything is bleed) if it doesn't move get your car in the air and check your shifter mounts(they are made of rubber(they can be eaten away, put it in gear and move it side to side and see what kind of play you have. mine moves about an inch side to side/alot more than I like) and if you engine vibrate alot it would be like a game trying to get it into gear, pretty much almost impossible) I don't remember where i found it but they sell poly shifter mounts

crx

Well its a Cable Ys1 tranny, and the shifter mounts and pretty much every other mount and bushing on the car has been replaced for Poly so its not that. I dont want to screw with this car anymore so i just told a guy who was interested in it that he could have it for 2500. It sucks becuase i have nearly 10 in it in labor and time and parts so it sucks.

to be honest if i spent that much on a car III not going to just low-ball myself because of something small. If I couldn't figure it out I would have took it somewhere to get some ideas. that if you wanted to get rid of it you could get alot more out of it it everything worked. i bought m crx for 500 the had the b18a1 and everything int it but the cross member w/ radius rods(got a traction unit now) it was running but not good thanks to a wiring issue under the dash(#4 inj wasn't firing so it put the car in limp mode) i fixed it temporarily by just running a wire straight from inj 4 and ran it straight to the ecu pin it needed to go to. just take it to get fixed

Back