CRX HF + DX Head???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was looking in the Articles and I was reading the one called:
Creating an HF All-Motor Monster

It says that by dropping a CRX Si Tranny, ECU, distributor, 4th gen SI intake manifold, and a DX head from any Honda motor you will be able to put 112hp 109lb-ft to the wheels.

I find that a little hard to believe because a stock HF only has about 65 hp or less at the flywheel. I also have never read about other people doing this on their HF's. It seems like it would be a great upgrade being that it would cost about $500 for almost double the power.

What do you guys think?

Yeah it is true. This guy at the track had a hf with the dx head and pulled a 14.8 with the back interior taken out. Very possible.

those 8-valve heads suck! it's totally possible when you think about it, just compare the numbers. An 8-valve engine usually has around 65-70hp while a 16 valve engine of the same displacement will have around 100-110 hp. That's around 30-40 hp gain just from changing heads! Plus the HF's are light as all hell to begin with. Hope to see you make a HF monster of your own soon B)

I'm thinking about it, but not sure if I want to invest the time/money because it will have to be my daily driver. Might just go with a used 02 si :)

ahhhh fooey! but then again i have been taking a liking to the new Si's the more i see them. Look really clean when done right and made all JDM. But i don't think they're very fast. Not sure. You'd probably have more fun tuning the CRX and it would be alot cheaper too. Parts for newer cars like that are getting expensive. But a cool daily drive none the less B)

Anyone else heard of this combo?

Also how much could I expect to pay for a working dx cylinder head? how bout a working crx si transmission?

One more question too ;), would it be best to find both parts at a junkyard?

dont' expect to pay more than $100 for the head, they are on like every damn honda civic between 88 and 95. the tranny can go anywhere between $100 and $300. i just picked up a 95 EX tranny for $300 shipped you shouldn't pay ANYTHING more than that! B)

Awesome thanks, time to call some junkyards around here to find out what they have. Hopefully they have a few crx si's, and GSR's (rear brakes ;)) lying around so that if I do pick up an HF i can start modding quickly.

Bahh... the new si hatches look like a shrunk down VTEC Odyssey

and yes, hfblock+dxhead makes considerable gains. But then again... an hf is on par with a 3 banger geo metro.. so considerable gains could be.... say.... a geo storm? lol

Originally posted by AlphaCivic@Mar 16 2004, 06:49 AM
Bahh... the new si hatches look like a shrunk down VTEC Odyssey

:lmao: True. But i do like the ones that showcase on JDMhondaparts.com from time to time. I'm a sucker for electron blue pearl paint :wub:

I've heard various things about the performance of the Mini-Me engines. The other Hondadorks on Alternative Honda say that with the HF/DX swap:

"You'll be smoking 99+ Si's no problem,
be pulling on GSR's until the 100mph range
and be a match for ludes until 120mph+"

I don't know how accurate this is, but the GSR's and Si's being smoked sounds good enough. Hp is around the 120's with the swap to the wheels. 50hp for $500?!? rivals nitrous gains lol, i would do it. There is nothing better than beating a B-series in a SOHC, especially a non VTEC one!

One Cam, One Love :wub:

how does the hf pistons come into play here being only notched for an 8 valve head? any piston to valve contact? would it be possible to use a crx si head? reason im asking is ive tried this hf-dx conversion once and ended up bending 4 valves. any tricks to this set up?

Originally posted by CRX_m0nkey@Mar 10 2004, 10:25 PM
I'm thinking about it, but not sure if I want to invest the time/money because it will have to be my daily driver. Might just go with a used 02 si :)

Why are you worried, yeah it is your daily driver, but you will still get like 30+MPG with they head swap. My car is an 89 DX, with Si injection, which is basicly what your car will be. I had a week of down time cause honda had to order some parts, but other than that it has been the best thing I have done to the car. My car has been super reliable 1 year later. No problems or malfunctions.

I'm starting to change my mind and consider just getting an Si to begin with. My first mod's on an HF would be gettin the DX head and Si Parts (tranny, ecu, etc..) then converting rear brakes to disk, and then down the road getting some nice seats. This would basically make the HF close to an Si but would weigh a lil under 100 pounds less. I'm not sure if that extra time and money is worth it.

And with lilol89crx's post about bending valves doing the swap I'm thinking that the dx head swap isn't for me.

What do you guys think is the better option, Si or HF?

I say neither I say DX, and this is well disputed, but it starts as 16 valve, if all you have to do is change the intake manifold, ecu, and distributor, to get the equivilant of the HF/DX hybrid. People will bitch about the wiring involved with the MPFI conversion, but it is really not that bad, took me a day to wire it up. Also the DX does not weigh that much more than the HF, it does not have have a sun roof, which is just plain dangerous if you plan to race it. The DX also has the right hubs in it so if you do a b series swap you do not have to change your hubs. Do a search there is a lot of good info about CRX choices, people have their own reasons for liking the DX, Si, and HF. So to each there own, and figure out what works best for you.

It seems like the DX is the choice for a B series swap, but I doubt I wil ever find the money to actually do the swap :-/. I think the Si will be good for me. I want to mainly get some good suspension on it and wheels/tires then whenever my engine decides to go to crap, get a ZC and drop it in. But who knows, I've changed my mind about 5 times over which model I want ;)

i did a z6 swap in my old 88 dx hatch and it was pretty easy. but now im running a y8 head on my a6 block. its nice too, but im considering going b series <_< i dont know...........

Back