CRX Si engine into a DX.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

E-dogg

Hey guys!! I searched for answers to the following questions but got nada so here we go....

I got cornholed on a '91 Si so to lessen my loss I pulled the engine/tranny out of it as well as most of the interior before I gave it to the junkyard (Using pissedofsols guide). I ended up coming across an '89 CRX dx for $250. The body is pretty decent but the engine is missing the head. The Si and the dx are both manuals. The si supposedly has a new clutch and the dx has an atc?? clutch. Anyway, I want to know should I put the whole Si engine/tranny in the dx, just the head, or what?? If yall think I should put the whole engine in then I would also appreciate a guide to the installation. I could try to use the removal guide in reverse I guess but I think I would get it wrong. Maybe these are dumb questions but hey, at least I'm not asking yall to email some fool with the same name as me so that he'll talk to me. Anyway, thanks for any advice and I look forward to seeing some answers and probably some smack talking.

Maybe these are dumb questions but hey, at least I'm not asking yall to email some fool with the same name as me so that he'll talk to me.

:owned:

lmfao
thats too funny

it would prob be cheaper to just do the whole motor swap
but crack the trans to see which clutch is better before installing it
you might also wanna do routine maint like timing belt and water pump...

now i believe the dx dual point...
my advice would be to use the dual point intake manifold and get the motor running and going, make sure you have all the bugs out and make sure someone didn;t just yank the head but the problem was really elsewhere...

after you get it running then consider the MPFI conversion...
i hope you got the ecu and everything from under the hood of the SI?

how many miles on your SI block, and how many miles on your dx block...

go to autozone.com and price a head gasket set including the headgasket, intake mani gasket, and prob exhaust mani gasket but you can usually reuse those...

if the dx block has FAR fewer miles and the cost is not too dramatic then you could consider just doing the si head swap, running as DPFI to make sure it runs properly, and then do MPFI for the extra 10 or 20 horsepower...

Hey!! Thanks for the response. The DX block has 220k and the Si has 185k. I have the doors to the Si but they are no good, they are rusted pretty bad and they had the seatbelt that connects to the door panel but someone cut the seatbelt strap. However, the windows and everything work great. I will definitely check out th gasket set. I wanted to just rebuild the engine but I called the dealership near me and they wanted 400-600 for a rebuild kit. The 600 was with new bearings. I wasnt sure if I wanted to spend that much to rebuild an engine that may run fine for another year or so when I could use the money towards a b16 for my other CRX. Anyway, I really appreciate the response :worthy: and I'll let yall know what happens.

Back