Crx Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eldh4blo

REX IN PROGRESS!!
Ok so im starting a new project build..Im looking to either swap a k20 or any type of b series i.e b16 b18 b20 ls/vtec what are some of the major differences.. has anyone seen more or less performance from either.. or basically which would be the better choice for the money im trying to build a street / strip car with around 400 hp i know theres probably tons of people who have done this but if you could give your honest opinion on which would be better or even which would be more logical..

if this post seems retarded or already something like it on here im srry lol im new to the HS Forums and havent gotten completeley through it all

Last edited:
A nice lesser expensive "reliable" build may be with a turbo LS. Pretty much anything that you're looking at is going to have to be build up a little.:deadhorse:

I agree with dacheat.

Do some research on what chassis it's going in, and find out what you're going to use to tune it, or who is going to tune it. The more you know now is less you have to learn later.

400hp naturally aspirated is going to be pretty hard to do unless you are loaded. A k series swap is already gonna start at like 6 grand cuz they are a bit rarer than the b series. An H swap starts with about 200 hp but is not as easily built, in my oppinion, as a b series. Now a moderately built B18B with about 6grand invested could make 400 hp fairly easy and are easy to install. And with a B18c you can achieve about the same results but the initial cost of the motor will be a bit more expensive. I have a B18b in my ride and invested about 1200 dollars in buying the motor and various parts to install it and hopefully with another 800 invested in turbo charger parts should be making near 300 hp.

thanks for the replys so far.. i was thinking about going with a decent sized turbo n waste gate.. im not nessecarily just wanting to build it all motor but that would be badass.. im also not just looking to build a motor n it blows up under 2 pounds of boost if u know what i mean..i wanna take my time and build it from the ground up myself n ill probably have a alamo or some other import shop in the dallas ft worth area tune it.. not to sure on that one yet..

If this is your first real build, see whats in the car. Turbo it, D series I'm guessing.
My buddy has a turboed z6 in a del sol we did thats faster than my b16 crx (i still think its slow) on like 6 or 7 psi on a t3/4 hybrid. Thats just matching fuel ratios, no real tuning or head work, just a built bottom end got about 170whp. Still has plenty of room and should be able to push at least 3 times that amount of boost.
If you really want to go at something that moves fast or a all out drag car, common things you'll see is B, H, or K series. Each progressively getting more expensive, difficult, and potential for the most part.

D16Z6, forged internals, 18 ps1, holset or t4 and your good. check out homemadeturbo.com for more turbo info. Please post inteligently or you will be ridiculed. Search the site and you will find everything you need to know and some things you probably dont want to know.

Back