CRX won't pass smog

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm starting to get frustrated with my CRX because I can't get this thing to run properly. I took it for an emissions test here in Canada and it won't pass. What's worse is I can't drive it until it passes.

The car failed with excessive HC (hydrocarbons) and excessive CO (carbon Monoxide). The car literally has a fuel smell to it when it is running. I believe I may have a pcv system problem since the car will bog slightly when I floor it. I changed the PCV valve and plan to change the oil. I will install a fuel guage and check the fuel pressure tomorrow. Any other suggestions. I have big plans for this car but first I need to be able to register it.

Any ideas will be helpful. Only thing I could come up with is to change that pcv valve. Beyond that I have to look at my injectors and my fuel pressure regulator.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry this is a SIR 1 B16 CRX. I bought it with the swap already done but when I bought it the engine was out so I had to put the engine in again. Oxygen sensors test good. I have new plugs in. I have 94 octane gas in it.

Guess I should have came here sooner. I'm known for skipping steps and what not. Thanks, for the help. I actually did have a kid at work check the timing when it first failed. Clearly he did it wrong since the timing was almost fully advanced. Maybe he was using the white mark to set it. Oh well, I'll change the oil tomorrow and try to test it again this week then the easy part; getting her ready for the safety inspection. Lots of noise coming from the rear brakes so complete replacement needed there.

Failed again, this time the Hydrocarbons are lower 148 ppm vs. 316 ppm. However, the Carbon Monoxide went up 2.71 % vs. 1.02 %. I'm leaning towards changing the O2 sensors and then the convertor. I will test the O2 sensors again to see if the voltages meet specs. If not I will replace the cat. Now the car isn't running perfect so I'm not sure exactly what else to do. I have two PR3 ECU's so I've already tried another computer. I do have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator as well which I may install but I need to check the fuel pressure first.

Any other ideas or any encouragement is much appreciated.

Back