Curiosity issue... Clutch jobs for B-series CRXes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

radnulb

I sure as hell didn't.
I probably could have pulled the motor, done it on the ground and dropped it back in faster...

-Bumper off
-Charge pipes off
-Battery ground off
-Starter off
-Axle nut removed
-passenger lower balljoint seperated
-axle removed from tranny
-dropped shiftlinkage back by shifter (did not disconnect from tranny due to bitch pin)
-tranny fluid drained
-Radiator loosened
-3 bolts out of rear bracket
-back rear bracket bolt loosened
-drivers side mount loosened
-Jack under tranny, jack under block (2 jacks)
-All but one (top + easy to reach) tranny bolts removed
-Top bolt broke loose
-transmission mount unbolted from frame
-motor dropped+angled downwards slightly
-transmission mount removed from transmission
-passenger shock fork unbolted
-axle removed totally
-passenger side radius arm removed
-intermediate shaft removed 3 bolts (did not seperate from drivers axle)
-dropped motor more, more tilt
-removed top tranny bolt
-yanked, cursed, etc. etc.
-somehow got tranny out

Then replaced my heavy old flywheel, beat old clutch disk and stock pressure plate with the Action 6MD clutch + Toda chromoly wheel.

Tried to get tranny to go back. No dice. Was catching against the frame. So...
-dropped front crossmember
-slid tranny back in
-one person underneath lining up intermediate shaft, one person working jack, one person pushing and steering.
-bolted EVERYTHING back up again.

Thanks a ton to Shawn D + Kurt showin up just in time to help get the thing back on

So does anyone know an easier way without pulling the motor to do a clutch on a CRX with a B series swap?

Edit: this approach took approximately 7.5 hours start to finish working alone (except to the 15 minutes of help from Shawn + Kurt getting the tranny lined back up again) for difficulty comparison purposes.

Why are you telling him to talk to me? I've only replaced a few nissan clutches a one in an isuzu pickup. When I did the nissan clutches they were in a 200sx and the tranny is on the opposite side of the motor as a honda. You had to remove almost everything related to the intake and battery system to get to the bell housing bolts. It took about 5 hours to do it the first time, then after some driving the owner realized the clutch was for the 1.6 version of his car and ground away to dust in weeks. The second time we got it done in about 4 hours and I don't see how we could get it in any faster.

hour to pull the engine, hour and a half to put the clutch and restall the engine. or maby 3 hours total

I dunno, but the guys at Intercrew did it on my B series Civic in under an hour, and that was including a lunch break. New flywheel and clutch all installed... nice and clean.

Back