Custom exhaust vs Brand X

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UDT

Ok so i come from big V8's and such, when your working with them the exhaust isisnt such a big deal, you either go get a flowmaster or borla or something or get custom madrel bent stuff from an exhaust shop. There both about the same 300 - 400 bucks just the mane thing is th non crimped bends, other then that its not such a big deal (i mean it is but not so much to get a brand name) custom bent = just as good as brand X, why wouldint some custom bent pipes and just a good brand muffler, RES, and CAT do ok on these 4 cyl engines? I just really cant think of one good reason to buy a 530$ cat back when for that or less i can get custom pipe what ever size i want and then just run a nice muffler cat and res? are there just no good universal mufflers or someting or are people just not fond of having to pic a universal muffler as apose to a whole kit. It just does not make sence to me. I mean i guess if you heard an exhaust that you just for sure wanted that sound/tone them by all means get it cause thats what you like but if you just really wanting to get the exhaust out then this should be a viable option right? i like the WS and RS*R type systems im sure i could build something like that with misc parts and the exhaust shop. Basicly Is there something your geting when you buy a name bran other then just the nam, i mean there is only so much R&D that can go in to exhaust pipping and im willing to bet its all been done and a good exhaust tech should be able to come to the same conclusion that the designer of some of these name brand exhausts have come to as far as bends where and what size pipping according to your set up, and even then thats more a choice for the driver going by his current set up and future plans.

if done properly with quality work and parts then there is no difference between the 2 (other than price)

its just easier to get a prefab exhaust (for instance, in my area no one mandrel bends stainless :( )
and it gives you a better guess as to what it will sound like (if you have heard it on another persons car)

but if you have somewhere to get it done then it is definatly a good way to go

I had a 2.25" mandrel-bent stainless exhaust on my Accord. Flowed great, sounded great, looked stock, never had a problem. Spent $250 on it. I highly suggest going that route. Fuck spending $500 or more on an exhaust.

ya I have a 2.5" mandrel bent stainless exhaust on my accord and it flows greatr and sounds good as well not very loud but deep just the way i wanted it....i built the exhaust myself

Cool, cuase that was always the one part the you kinda take pride in on V8's since 50% of the time you picked and choosed which peaces you used though ther are alot of prefabed exhausts like Borla, Edelbrock, flomaster, ETC. ETC. Its just that it was a really fun part of the car to tackle when doing upgrades, with imports theres almost to many factors to have to try and worry about when picking the right exhaust as far as sound, is it rice, will it flow, does it look nice..... i knew it was just more hype and rice apeal i just never thought to ask this question i just always figured i would get somthing thats been proven to flow nice and sound good, but now i feel more confident picking good universal type peaces and just making good choices and getting a competent exhaust shop to bend me some pipes.

And see out here in cali theres an exhaust shop on every corner so im sure i will be able to find one that does good work.

any other thoughts though would be nice, also whats a good universal RS*R type muffler or WS muffler, or just who makes good mufflers? Theres so many out ther i wanna get one thats a quality brand not just some APC muffler or some auto zone crap.....what constitutes a quality muffler anyways?

SS is Yummy im almost 100% sure thats what the pipes will be

hey jeff when you get ready to do this hit me up...personally i like oe mufflers with a 2 1/2 in and out but if you want an import style muffler hit me up...one of my customer's manufacture a line for tanabe and they have some real nice quality stuff, or of course, i have apc mufflers for 20 something dollars...funny but true...

Coo man, im just geting ideas, still collecting the money from my dad for the car.
He wanted to do his taxs first but that in no way will damper the car he just wanted to be clear on his funds, he did send me a check for 500 bills and ther shuld be anotehr for 2.5k that will be here tomarrow so just a few more days or weeks and i will be ready to buy.

btw, Brand X is an actual brand that does fairly good muffler and suspension clones. I've seen their N1 clone (sounded awesome) and Ground Control coilover clone. same locking perch design.

dont get anything like ractive, HP racing or apc mufflers...they sound like fiberglass vibrating around in a coffee can and can be considered fart boxes, and best of all they look like a whale dick.
i would have no muffler at all and run a straight pipe then get caught with an apc, ractive, or hp muffler.

Ummmm yeah i never had any intentions of having anything to do with there products. I dont promote Rice.

Back