1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cv joint

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by silver, Jul 16, 2003.

1. silver

silver Senior Member

my front axle is making a clicking noise when i make even somewhat sharp turns at low speeds, im told this is due to the cv joint. is it possible to fix this without replacing the axle? if so can anyone help me with what to do?

2. liquid00meth

liquid00meth Senior Member

no. Clicking means your axle is already gone. Don't even worry about it. Go buy a rebuilt axle assembly from napa for like 50$

3. dcsports413

dcsports413 Senior Member

no. not nessarily. your cv boot is bad for sure, but your axle may still be alright. it depends on how long you have driven on it while it has been clicking.

4. liquid00meth

if the boot is gone, there is like a 95% chance I'd say that there is dirt in the joint. If there is dirt in the joint, it's all over. It's going to wear through eventually. You are better off just buying a new axle assembly. They are wicked cheap.

5. silver

silver Senior Member

my dad said it'd be $300 to get it replaced...but i guess thats at a shop. how much of a hassle is it to get the axle and replace it myself? never done that yet

6. Rabinzero

Rabinzero Senior Member

I have this same problem myself and yes, a mechanic will charge about $300. If you guys know of a particular place to go to, please let us know.

7. liquid00meth

yea the labor on it is what fucks you. You can get a whole axle assembly for like 50$ if you give them back your core

8. b164gen

b164gen Member

changing the cv shaft is simple, if you have any mechanical ability..
    1. take off the tire.
    2. you will nedd a big socket to loosen the nut on the hub, and a breaker bar.
    3. once the nut is off, tap it with a hammer, to break it free...then pull rotor towards you and slide the cv, out the hole.
    4. use a big screw driver, or a prie bar and break the cv away from the tranny.

putting it in make sure it slides all the way into the tranny, once its lined up( the splines on the cv to the splines on the tranny you may need to take a piece of wood to the other end of the cv ang hit it with a hammer to make sure its all the way in the tranny, the put it in the rotor, tighten the nut really tight, use an impact or a breaker bar to make sure, bend the edge of the nut in the grove youll see what im talking about, when your taking it off. and that it.....

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted