CX swap ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cxvtech

I am about to swap a D16Z6 into a 1993 Honda CX, and I have some questions. I have searched as much as I have time for, and just need some quick answers.

I have a 1994 del sol si :rip_1: that was wrecked, and is now donating its engine to the Hatch. I am planning to do this soon, so i need some answers soon. I have read that is is a very easy swap, and it just bolts in. But here is my question. I have not done this before, so keep that in mind. I am having a mechanic do it, but i just need to know what i need first. Both cars are manual.

I want to put the engine and transmission from the del sol into the hatch. Is this going to be straight forward bolt in? What all do i need to swap from the del sol to make the swap work. I know the engine and the tranny should be swapped, but is there nething else that needs to me taken from the del sol. Am i going to have to buy any extra parts, or should i have all the parts i need between the two cars?

Thanks in advance for no flaming and simple answers

it just drops in, you might need to add 2 wires for vtec.

This is such a simple swap that you should do it yourself.

One comes out the othr goes in. Nothing needed beside some wire for vtec, and that might not even be necassary. The only part you cant use from the del sol is the linkage, but you can use your cx linkage.

that pretty much sums it up.

you will also need to do something about the exhaust and cat, cuz the cx design is not like the more potenet z6

If youve never swapped its a good idea to get a Polaroid and Open the Hood Take 4 Pictures from different Angles for your notes when assembly comes back together :). Also another great idea is to take some masking tape and all of the Sensors you remove number them with tape as you take them off. So that When you put the new ones in you will know exactly where they go. It is an Easy Swap you should have no problems though. You might need to buy a new Shift Linkage though!!! Im not sure???

Originally posted by offsol@Jan 11 2005, 08:36 PM
that pretty much sums it up.

you will also need to do something about the exhaust and cat, cuz the cx design is not like the more potenet z6
[post=444367]Quoted post[/post]​

actually it will bolt right up, you just won't have a cat since the cx exhaust is longer due to the cat being on the header.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jan 15 2005, 01:24 AM-->
92civicb18b1
@Jan 14 2005, 08:36 PM
good, cats suck.
[post=445727]Quoted post[/post]​

Till you have to pass emissions.
[post=445961]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, I dont have to pass emissions, I live in Oklahoma, and we no longer have to do that.

And about the exhaust, will i need to swap the del sol's exhaust, or will the CX's bolt up to what i have? I am thinking about getting a new exhaust neway, but didnt really want to spend the money. Thanks for all the help again.

I was also not planning on doing the swap myself, since I can have a guy do it for free in exchange for the del sol when i am done. But i am rethinking doing it myself. Would I just need an engine hoist and some time? I have never done this, but my dad is a mechanic, and would help, and i would like the experience...

You can't use the del sol exhaust and yea all you should need is a hoist, tools, and time.

I'm almost positive though, you can use the header from the del sol and remove the cat.

I think you should be able to do this swap, it is VERY simple

Back