CYP Sensor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RIT Civic

I did my tune-up today and as I was changing the rotor and cap I noticed the CYP Sensor was dirty. So I unscrewed it and cleaned it off. Now I put everything back together and I have the CYP Sensor light coming on through my check engine light (code 9). The car runs a lot better since I changed everything but now I have that check engine light...any suggestions on what I could have done wrong?....do you think cleaning it made the ecu realize it's faulty?...is it something I have to fix before I can drive again?

it was probably close to going bad and you just finished it off when you cleaned it. You need to get a new one now, obviously. I would suggest the junkyard first, because Honda will make you buy a whole distributor sub-assembly, you can't just buy the CYP sensor.

could i drive the car like that until i can get one?...how would drivability be affected?

i'm guessing this is on a ZC? because the CYP sensor has tamper-proof screws on the ones where, the sensor is inside the distributor.

i'm pretty sure, the purpose of the CYP is to advance ignition timing according to engine RPM.

Actually I have the vx engine d15 and I don't have tamper proof screws...they are regular phillip screws...

I did my tune-up today and as I was changing the rotor and cap I noticed the CYP Sensor was dirty. So I unscrewed it and cleaned it off. Now I put everything back together and I have the CYP Sensor light coming on through my check engine light (code 9). The car runs a lot better since I changed everything but now I have that check engine light...any suggestions on what I could have done wrong?....do you think cleaning it made the ecu realize it's faulty?...is it something I have to fix before I can drive again?

i got a code 9 but dont know what the sensor looks like
can you help me ?

Back