D series vs. B series engine harnes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RedEh3

Oh yeah, its VTEC
ive got a question on the engine harness from a d16 and a b16, wolud a d16 vtec harness work on a b16 engine and vise versa? if it does would it just be plug and play?

What version of the b16 are you putting in? The JDM B16a sir II, all you need to do is run a wire for the knock sensor. thats for OBD1 for OBD2(B16a2 - 99 SI) you need to run a few more wires. But the harness will work with some modifications. Nothing like wiring an h22 =p IMO

Yes if it's an sir2 engine...the d series with vtec will work. You will need to extend your o2 sensor wire and if I am not mistaken the intake air temp wire as well. You will also need a different throttle cable then what came with the d series, needs the b16a3 throttle cable (delsol)...at least I did (I swapped from a d16z6to b16sir2 obd1). The vtec pressure plug will be unused on the d series harness and you will need to pin in a knock sensor to the ecu. No knock sensor on the d16 engine or harness.

Last edited:
I heard you can just modify the existing bracket on the D series throttle cable to make it work. This true?

You have to extend the bracket and drill new holes for the cable to mount. This is what I ended up doing for a while because I wanted the engine in right away and didn't feel like waiting for the throttle cable to come in. Have since changed...just because. The bracket worked fine, though.

Harnesses are retarded expensive. I looked into getting a usdm b16 harness and my jaw hit the floor when I heard the price (over $500 from the dealer). I think the junkyard would definitely be the way to go just as lnxmad said.

d16z6 or any d16 vtec harness will suffice. You just have to extend a couple of wires and pin in a knock sensor to the ecu. D-series harnesses are relatively easy to find in most junkyards.

If you route it right, you don't have to extend the wires (except o2). If you are really patient, you can unloom it all, and rewrap it to fit perfectly.

so is $100 bux good for one?

For an OEM B series wiring harness? Yea, it's pretty good. I'd rather just do teh work myself, but if you aren't patient, that's a good price. Becareful though, I have seen quite a few D series harness get sold as B series.

I would say yes, I mean if you look around long enough you may find one cheaper. I don't think 100 is that bad, though.

Back