d15/y8 freshening questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

josh_crewdson@y

I recently put a y8 head on my dpfi b2 block, I used the dpfi manifold for now till i swap my fully built b16 into my 99ex, then i'll go mpfi with the parts. hell i might even rebuild the bottom end (298xxx mi.) and putt the whole d16y8 in it. before i put the y8 head on she smoked a tiny bit till warm, when i took the head off i noticed the cylinder walls were glass smooth, after the head was on she smokes very badly. it gets worse when i advance the dizzy, but it runs better. all-in-all it runs great(really torqy). I did a compression test after swap 210, 215, 205, 230; the numbers look good but i've noticed a little bit of coolant seapage inbetween the head and the block (the head was good when i pulled it off my ex). i used the d15 head bolts, but i noticed one of them was too long so i had to use a bunch of washers. do i use the arp studs for the head or the block?
also can i use any d series rings? i know the bore is the same, but what about the ring thickness?

From what I've read, u need to use one of the shorter y8 head bolts with this swap. I'm looking into doing this same swap on my b2. So it runs with just the head swap? Have u done any of the wiring, vtec, etc?? I think my b2 head is shot, but I have a y8 head on standby, just curious...

yes, it runs with just the head swap. havent touched the wiring, I used the dpfi manifold it bolted right up. u need the y8 t-belt and cam gear though.

Back