D15B Head help, Need some setup advice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5speed4life

Hey, i have a d15b head im putting on my d16z6 block. its a low mileage head, but i bought it for 20 bux from some dude that hydro locked it and bent 2 valves. I have a IHI turbo (cant remember the other name for it)

Its my understanding that the d15b head has a good cam in it stock, but should i still put a bigger/diffrent cam in it? I am looking to make 200-250 hp. (any more would be a bonus) I want to have the head ported/polished.

But i guess my question is, other than the port/polish is there anything else i should do to this head to make HP? It needs valves, but should i put in stock valves, or go for aftermarket valvetrain? And if the cam i have is good for my setup should i still do springs and retainers?

I am also only asking about the head work, thats what im gona be working on right now. the fuel system, boost, and other crap is on my list.

If you still have your D16Z6 head, just keep that and run a Crower turbo profile camshaft and some head work that's customized to a turbo application. By the way, the stock D16Z6 block with no internal modication can make 200whp easy under boost and good tuning.

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 2 2004, 12:51 PM
If you still have your D16Z6 head, just keep that and run a Crower turbo profile camshaft and some head work that's customized to a turbo application. By the way, the stock D16Z6 block with no internal modication can make 200whp easy under boost and good tuning.
[post=410614]Quoted post[/post]​

Unfortunatly i do not have a d16z6 head. just a block, and a d15b head.

Ok- toss it on and bolt up the turbo. You should still be able to use just about any camshaft that the Z6 head can use. I would worry more about the pistons/rods for making more power under boost though. The head will flow well enough to make power past 250whp without modification, but the pistons/rods might not hold up to the abuse.

ok, another question. if i get 1mm os valves, do i need my head machined for them? Like i said i atleast need new valves b/c mine are messed up, and if puttin in os valves isnt much more $$$ than stock why not.

the turbo is off of a turbo mustang/capri/turbo thunderbird. the wastegate is stock set at 15psi (i know i gots to change that) but its a very small turbo.

Yes, you need the valve seats enlarged/deshrouded for larger valves. I can't help you on the turbo unless I see a compressor map.

Back