D15B Modded or JDM B16A

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

briak94

Just to get some input, which would be better for getting horsepower for the price.
Modifying a D15B auto and changing it over to 5spd for more HP, or doing a complete swap and putting in a JDM B16A 5spd?

um. how reliable do you want this to be? $2500 for a b16 swap on www.hmotorsonline.com or $2500 for 5spd dseries tranny and a good turbo kit, turbo d will be faster, ide still go with the b16, less trouble, turbo d not to mention the 5spd tranny swap, running the oil lines for the turbo, then you have to worrya bout your tune. b16. save and spray

i was thinking about turbo the d but i want reliability. what kind of Hp can i get out of the B16A without turbo and internals?

If you go with an all motor b16, you may make up to 180-190, If you got the money ide go with a crower stroker kit and some little upgrades tot he valvetrain.

Any motor on boost is as reliable as it's tune. Craptastic tune=craptastic motor/performance.

What do you plan to do with the car in the future? And how much more money, beyond the motor and upgrades, do you wanna spend? What chassis is the motor going to go into? Based on the fact that you are asking about a D15B, I would assume an EF or an EG.

Give us some more details, and we might be able to provide better information.

Its on a 94 coupe EX, EJ1 chassis. I will do suspension later on. Its going to be a daily driven car and some track use. drag and maybe autocross sometimes. at the present time i was averaging just over $3K, engine, tranny, conversion and a good stage 1 clutch kit and lightened flywheel (was thinking exedy stage1).

A setup for quick quarter mile times could be completely different than a setup for autox.

My opinion--LS with boost. You can pick up an LS swap for cheap. $3000 is a good starting point for a B swap. That will easily put the motor in the car and get it tuned if you shop around. Add some boost to it, and call it a day.

I will do the B for now I just have to find someone relaible and knows their stuff to help with tuning here in Orlando. Converting from auto to manual is going to be interesting for me.

any advice or experiences with performance clutch kits and lightened flywheel. I was thinking that when i get the engine and have it out, just to upgrade and change the clutch and flywheel. i have checked ebay for prices and combos. any other places or brands anyone can suggest?

Thanks

Back