d15b swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tlanuwa69

Ive got a 99 civic cx hatch with a d15y7 vtec that has almost 400k miles on it. I just bought an OBD2 SOHC VTEC D15B. I was told that this is the 3 stage vtec motor and from the pics I've seen and descriptions I've read it is. I heard that you could wire the vtec so that instead of kicking in the second time it will kick in at the same time as the first. Is this true and if so what needs to be done to do this?
I'm trying to get the swap done this weekend so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Are you sure it's an OBD2 motor? I wasn't aware that they made that engine in anything other than OBD1. And also, the 3-stage VTEC-E is different than regular VTEC. It's meant to help with fuel economy and it engages much lower in the power-band than standard VTEC. You can't just swap a few wires and make it perform like regular VTEC...

Oh, and you're in the wrong place also...this forum is for questions about 01+ Civics and RSXs...

Sorry about being in the wrong spot. As far as the OBD thats what the invoice for the motor said and thats what June told me at JDM Engine Depot. Thanks for the help.

the three stage vtec was a JDM b15b engine in the 96-00 civics. The beauty of these engines is that they can get 55mpg and 130HP.

The problem is that they are OBD 2, and finding a way to control the 2nd and 3rd vtec stages is a bitch.

not only are the original p2j(not sure) ecus nearly impossible to find, most of them (80%) are for the CVT transmission.

anyway, it would be easiest to convert the engine to obd1, then try to figure out how to get it to work in your car.

but if you're gonna just have 2nd and 3rd stages kick in at the same time, you're kinda missing the point of the engine...

Back