d15b vtec motor seems a little weak

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

regal1975

Ive finally gotten my d15b vtec motor into my 89 crx dx.. running great except that the temp guage isnt working..

anyways, it runs fairly strong, but no moreso than the stock motor did (ive got a 90 crx dx to compare it to).. and when i engage the vtec it doesnt give it much of a kick if any....

soo.. where do i look? ive got no engine codes and it runs great otherwise..

also, if i leave the fan running all the time when the motor is running will i have any problems? i live in GA so it never gets all that cold..

thansk!

i have my fan running with a switch i turn on maually all the time since i live in flordia and was cheap when my relay went out. did you wire your vtec properly along with everything else? that motor is supposed to have some decent power, atleast enought to get a crx to high 14 second 1/4 mile time.

Quoted post[/post]]
check the little baby sensor connection on the cylynder head under the distribotor,thats the sensor for that gauge

sweet, ill check that out.. i was thinking it was on the back of the block below the intake...

and i can tell the vtec is actuating, at anything below about 4krpm it definitely reduces power.. im just sending it 12v via a switch i put just below the shifter to test it out before i got a controller...

well soryy to tell you but......u should have hooked up vtec the right way to the ecu......because ur using a switch...ur not adding fuel to make up for the vtecs more air....so...yea....ur pretty much running a lil lean when engaging it......not the way to go....go obd1 and wire it into a p28 ecu...good to go

Quoted post[/post]]
well soryy to tell you but......u should have hooked up vtec the right way to the ecu......because ur using a switch...ur not adding fuel to make up for the vtecs more air....so...yea....ur pretty much running a lil lean when engaging it......not the way to go....go obd1 and wire it into a p28 ecu...good to go

okay, ive got a pm6 i think.. a stock si obdo ecu.. as well as a stock obdo distributor.. can i swap to the p28 ecu and keep the distributor and wiring i currently have?? everything the same except wiring vtec into the new ecu?? if so then i will go that route if it isnt too expensive. i think you really have it nailed though.. the vtec does seem to add a bit of kick around 4500, but it seems to actually bog it down after a half second or so.. if i run it up to 4500, kick in the vtec and let off very quickly, it gives me another little boost when i release it.. please let me know about this.. thanks much

and the single wire connector below the distributor was perfect, thanks a ton thegreat1310 , it came loose.. plugged it in and it immediately registered the temp...fantastic.. now i can put a switch on the fan if it gets too cool for it...

i ran the advance forward a bit and it helped out some.. but since i cant find any marks, i cant find where it is exactly without a very expensive timing light.. my cheapo model only registers that the advance is working and that my timing is ahead of 0 degrees..

thanks for all of the help everyone, this is by far the best forum ive found for help with a swap.
thumbup.gif

you can get a PWO ecu. its obdO. if you want to covert to obd1(which i highly recommend) you need the following........
p28 100ish
4 wire o2 sensor--steall out of any junker honda
obd1 vtec dizzy--- 150ish new. or you can use and LS whick you might find at a junker. you just have to cut a leg. I have that on my ls vtec and it works fine
obd0-obd1 ecu/dizzy harness.........GET IT! no shortcuts! 150 ish(depends on brand)
follow the instructions to wire you or sensor,knock sensor,vtec,check ingine light.

Back