d15b7 to a d15b8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

danhatchdx

i just got a 95 cx. my friend has a dx and the only diffrence looks like the intake mamifold and the head. if so can i take the b7 head and manifold and put it on my b8?

Don't spread misinformation, jackass.

The B8 head is an anemic, 8-valve head and the CX tranny is geared for ultra-good fuel economy.

can do. I did. parts list Dx intake manifold (with every thing, if can) Dx throttle body, Dx water pipe (from theromstat to water pump) P06 computer (can use p05, but not full potential) 4 wire o2 sensor and a DX wire harness (engine side) and DX manifold or headers. DX spec spark plugs.
The DX has a bigger throttle body and different manifold. You need the waterpipe because the DX uses 2 water nipples for the Iac and fast idle. Then you need to use the Dx harness because the CX air temp plug is too short and you need the plug for the 4 wire o2. So when you add the p06 computer you don't get "check engine" light. The exhaust manifold or header is needed because if your cat. is built into the exhaust manifold, It's an easy way to eliminate the cat. Then you'll have a straight exhaust. Put in big pipes, even better. (I don't about your emissions laws) My D15B8 is in a 92CX, it had 16 valve relifes, so check yours first. You need to use a bore scope, before you split your engine. Distributor is the same, T- belt is the same, head gasket is the same, and valve cover is the same.
First lift car so you don't have to bend down too low (he he bad back)and so you can drain coolant and oil. Disconnect battery. Remove exhaust manifold and unplug o2. There is a 19mm drain plug behind the exhaust manifold on the block. It's to drain the coolant. remove drive belts and p/s pump and bracket (if get). remove valve coverand upper T-belt cover. Remove crankpully and lower T-belt cover. remove t-belt. (changing w/p and tensioner good practice) There is 2 bolts that hold the intake manifold from underneath. remove heater lines and small water lines. remove distributor. disconnect injectors, air temp, iac, vent solenid, map,tps. ct sensor and ct sender remove throttle cable and vacuum booster hose and charcol vacuum line. now unbolt 10 head bolts. There is a bolt removal sequence, so check a manual.remove head and intake one piece Clean block of gasket materal and tops of pistons of carbon. Now you can chang over to the DX wiring harness and change to the DX water pipe. Have the DX head ready to install, rebuild and resurfaced. Use new head gaskets.mount intake because easier to reach bottom intake nuts. Follow torque sequence and torque specs. set cam and replace T-belt. Plug everything back and put everything back together. change computer and don't forget the 4 wire o2. get a manual to help when you get lost and to get all the torque specs. Add fluids and DX spec. spark plugs.
I did this in 4 hours, because I had all the parts ready. (did my research) This is basicly what I did, car works good. last thing, if you have a after market air intake you'll need a bigger boot beacuse of the throttle body . Or now is the time to get a airtake. Or just have your friends car over as a model to follow.
The CX manual transmission has high ratio gearing, takes a long time to build rpm and doesn't pull very hard. a DX trans would be alittle better, but a SI or EX trans would be the best. I have the DX trans. I use this car for workanyway. :D

Back