D15Z in an 87 CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1stgencrx

Hey I have an 87 CRX DX. It has a 1.5 engine that's messed up and I found a D15z for 100 bucks. What I would like to know is if this engine just bolts up to my tranny, hooks up to my ecu, and mounts into my existing mounts. I know it may be repeated, but for some reason I didn't see it. I also would like to know the power, torque, and any other stats. If you don't feel like answering newbie questions than please just post some links to help me out

It's alot of work. The engine is a complete generation; the 88-00 D-series are interchangeable, but the older ones are different. Custom mounts are needed, OBDI ecu, etc.
The D15Z1 is an economy motor(VTEC-E I believe), that came out of the 92-95 civics(OBDI). Go for a D16A1 out of the older Integras instead.

So if i go for a D16A1 out of an older integra it would still be carburated? I've heard they're worse than fuel injected. And what year Integra? Would it mount right in? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I think it was the 86-89 Integra. They were fuel injected(vacuum advanced). Here's the SCC article(How-To): SCC ZC article

Also, check out redpepperracing boards, they're a 1G CRX board and have alot of good info.

different

According to Honda Acura Engine Codes Guide it's out of a Civic HF 1996-2000. I was also told that it would bolt up accept for the fuel system and it needs harness re-wiring. I know a guy that can do all of that, or teach me to do all of it, so than it would be worth it I'm assuming, any replies?

There was never a 1996-2000 HF, at least not in the US, only HX(but that had a D16Y5).

Me, I'd go for it. I just read up on redpepperracing a yesterday; just use a D16A1 transmission, driveline swap, and flywheel/clutch assembly, modify the front engine mount, and rewire everything and it should work. Definantly not a bolt on procedure(since the front engine mount has to be welded), but you can make it work. redpepperracing.com -> D16z6 Writeup....sticky?

As of right now I cannot find one of those engines around here. A know a guy that's gonna redo the ecu and fuel system for me and teach me as well so for 100 bucks I think I'm gonna try it. He just wants me to find a computer so I'm hitting the salvage yards. Plus I'm assuming(which could be a bad thing) that there's more uprgrades and mods for a new engine. It's what I have to work with so we'll see. Plus I picked the car up for 50 bucks so even if it's 1st gen, im not complaining

Dude, consider yourself lucky because I can't even find a decently priced first gen around here. Anyways, good luck.

A 1987 CRX DX will definitely be carbureted in the US. The injection conversion on your fuel system will be tons of fun. TONS.

Carbureted powerplants in Hondas aren't bad at all, but you do get more precision with the EFI systems. You just may not want to deal with wiring everything up and converting your fuel system from low pressure carburetion to high pressure injection. You have to change pretty much everything.

If I were in your shoes, I would find another carbureted engine and drop it in with some air/fuel flow modifications, or just get rid of the 87 and try to at least get into an 88.

Back