D15Z1 - 4WD Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Pika

I am curious as to if a D15Z1 will drop into a 4th gen 4WD Civic wagon with much ease? If anyone has done this, any problems that they may have encountered.

May sound like an odd request, however I'm looking for 4WD and would like better fuel economy than any of the Subaru models can provide. I'm looking for a work car and not, say a K-Series into an EG6, type of outcome.

The motor will drop in just use mounts from the 4g. You will need to convert OBD1 to get the VTEC-E to run right. On gassaver.org they have some info on putting a d15z1 in a 4g.

Thank you for the info. Also, do you know if there is a conflict between a cable/hydraulic transmission?

4wd or AWD-2 differences 4wd is an option. AWD is always all 4 wheels turn instead of just 2.

The 4g 4wd wagon is a cable clutch and cable shifter, and it is the only 4wd d-series tranny that came in a usdm Honda.
I beleave all the 4wd wagons came with the d16a6in them. So swaping in a d15z1 you would loose about 20 hp. 92hp on the d15z1 and 113 on the d16a6. But the d16y5 vtec-e out of the 6g hx would leave you with about the same power as the d16a6 but still give similer mpgs as d15z1.

Back