D16 auto to b16 auto

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ignorant import guy

I would like to know how difficult it is to swap from a d16 vtec with an automatic transmission to a b16 with an automatic transmission. I personally have never done a swap so every detail would help. Is it just swapping the motor, ecu, and mounts then plugging everything back in? Would I be smarter to pay to have it done since I am a novice. Any links to a diy thread would be appreciated but I already searched this site and can't find what I need. By the way I have an ek with a d16y8. Thanks in advance

You will need to do this...

1) google search for b-series swap guides
2) get your wallet out
3) order the swap guide
4) read it a couple times and learn

Spoon-feeding isn't our forte', but pointing you in the right direction is. This swap is of different generations. To start you off, you need a b series engine/tranny (auto), from integra LS. Finding an auto b16 tranny is like finding a hooker without the package. Just do an auto LS swap and it will be much easier. Your in for a world of fun.

well I found where I can get the swap with an auto tranny. I planned on getting a guide just wanted to know if it's a smooth swap with minimal wiring.

the swap comes with the ecu. I guess what i'm really asking is does the engine harness have to be replaced with a new one or can i just put the engine and tranny in and plug the ecu and engine wiring in?

Is there a reason why you're wanting to keep this automatic? If I was dropping a dual-cam VTEC motor into an automatic car I'd for sure convert it to manual.

well the thing is i am not as mechanically inclined as most people on here, so wiring is not something i look foreward to doing, and when you convert don't you have to replace the whole wiring harness or some other wiring? Plus I take alot of heat now for having an automatic and I'm trying to make a point to certain people in my area that having an intake and exhaust on a five speed car does not neccessarily make it a fast car.

You don't need to swap the whole harness out, no. You do need to do a bit of wiring and swap out your ECU, but you're gonna need to do that anyway if you plan on swapping motors. And you're right, intake/exhaust on a 5-speed car don't necessarily mean it's going to be fast, but it will be faster than the same car, automatic, with intake and exhaust.

If you have to swap an automatic B16 just to beat 5-speed single cams, then I'd say you're taking the "I'm gonna prove that automatics can be fast" mentality too far. Automatics can be fast, but Honda ones usually aren't. They're designed for economy, not speed. Plus, a Honda manual tranny can take a lot more abuse (i.e. power going through it) than a Honda slushbox can. That's why you rarely see turbo'd automatic Hondas, the transmissions breaks after you start putting a significant amount of power down.

It's up to you though, but that's my suggestion. Think of it this way... you drop that auto B16 in there and pull on some guys with 5-speed single-cams. You'll be satisfied with that for a while, but what happens when somebody with a manual tranny B-series swap leaves you in the dust. Then you're back to square one.

I have always understood why 5 speeds are better and respect the fact that the same car as mine with a manual will beat me, but in my area there is so much rice you might as well rename it china. I want the swap so i can benefit more from the turbo kit I have. I am just horribly lost when it comes to wiring, and I can't find a step by step process from swapping from an automatic d16 to manual b16 for a 99 civic and if I screw up there is no place anywhere near me that could fix any problems that I cause. Besides that if I do decide to go manual I will most likely keep my engine just because my d16 is pretty well built and I everyone I ask says it's more work than it's worth to swap trannies.

ok so I have been reading up on auto to five speed swaps and it's not as bad as I thought...I do have a question though...does anybody have a write up or can someone explain if the wiring on the connector at the automatic shifter still needs to be done when swapping a new motor, tranny, and ecu?

Back