d16 y7 to d16 y8 vtec swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adambomr

I was wondering if i could swap my d16 y7 out of my 1998 civic lx and put in a d16 y8 in there. Basically I want a vtec motor but am not interested and dont have the money for a b16 swap. What other parts would be needed to make the swap complete? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

yes you could.

easiest way would be to use the whole y8 harness with the complete y8 swap.

you could find harness for about $100 if you dont already have one.

how would a head swap work for this. would he just be able to use the stock harness and pick up the ecu and y8 head?

yeah, he could just get proper ecu for the head/IM and wire in the pins for the vtec oil pressure switch, and vtec solenoid. he might have a problem w/the knock sensor code though. i am through trying to figure it out. i did the same thing (y7/y8 mini-me with a y8 ecu), but kept having problems w/ a CEL for a knock sensor. tried wiring in a ks, but still had CEL for it. i decided to just get a p28ecu with a conversion harness. the p28ecu doesnt look for a knock sensor, but everything else is the same. advantage to p28ecu is less likelihood of throwing a CEL with modifications.

Back