D16a6 / y8 mini-me timing belt. Y8 belt too tight?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

johnwohl

Hey guys, what the heck am I doing wrong here?

I'm doing a d16a6 / y8 mini-me and i've got everything completed except for the Y8 timing belt WILL NOT GO ON.

All of the write ups I've been looking at say to use a z6 or y8 timing belt and it will be tight, but those are all for d15. I'm assuming the a6 must be a little different?

Try as I might, I can't get the y8 belt to go on the tensioner. It's just a hair too tight, and the belt does not stretch at all. I suppose I might be able to use a pry bar but that doesn't seem wise.

I'm still using the a6 tensioner and water pump. Do I need to switch to the y8 ones? Are the pulleys slightly smaller?

Any help is appreciated. Anyone with the same swap please let me know how you got the timing belt on.

i did the a6/y8 setup sometime ago but now i honestly cant remember what belt i ended up using. i remember being told to try the d15b7 belt from a 92-95 civic lx/dx. and then i also read that it would work if you retain the a6 pump but use a y8 tensioner with the y8 belt.

use the z6 cam gear instead the y8 or a6, and use the a6 water pump and tensioner. and make sure u have a z6 or y8 belt, there is a teeth difference in nonvtec and vtec belts and pulleys

Back