d16y7 block for a d16y8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Basilisk

First post, so yes, I am a n00b. I also spent an hour with the search feature before posting this.

I have a d16y8 that I ran dry a couple of times (duh, woops). So my bottom end is about to take a dump. I just bought a used d16y7 and want to use the block to fix my engine. From my research I have sort of gathered that I just need to pull my engine, remove the head and tranny, do the same with the y7, and then bolt my head and tranny to the y7 block and throw it back in my car. Is it that simple. I have seen posts that there are oil jets for the block in the y8 and that I need some special vtec kit to do the repair, but I have a feeling thats a bunch of crap.

So I need an experts word on this repair, someone who has first hand knowledge with doing this, to tell me whats up.

Anyone?

you should be able to just slap the head on and wire up the vtec, run the new wire harness, and throw in the new ecu.(hope you got one or you can send it off to be chipped)

ooops...almost forgot that...there is some kind of writeup to this build here isn't there?

Remember I do have a y8 in there already, so I have the ecu and the wires ready to go. Are there wires for the vtec to the block? (don't think so) I also heard the y8 tranny was better, true?

yes the y8 tranny is better if you have the wires and ecu you have it made just dont forget that oil to the selnoid

So do I have everything I need to run oil to the solenoid, since the y7 block doesn't have the vtec head? I posted this on another forum too and someone said to "pull out that oil plug thing"

well there is a couple diffrent ways you can do it, there should be a step by step diy,i think its under mini me try the search i dont wont to steer you wrong

So I couldn't find a step-by-step, maybe I am retarded. I also looked through the 96-98 factory servicce manual and I can't see anywhere an oil return line from the block to the head on the y8, so how does the oil get to the solenoid?

well on the y8 block it has a part built in on the motor that does it but non vtec blocks dont have this, ill try to find it for ya

i did this swap in my 95 civic and it was a direct bolt off bolt on replacement, no vtec oil crap or nothing. ive got 8k on my swap so far with no problems. and your just replacing the bottom end in a civic that has a vtec head and computer in it already theres no ecu messing here!!!! just swap the blocks and you'll be set. dont f#ck your timing up though

Back