D16Y7 to D16Z6 Swap Help???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

aew996tt

First, Thanks to anybody that can help with my issue. I am in the process of a '97 Civic D16Y7 engine swap to a D16Z6 (unsure of year) as most everything looks to be pretty cut and dry. However, there is a part on the Z6 head next to the distributor with a green plug and a solonoid mounted in the same. My Y7 motor does not have the item and the dude I bought the motor from said it was a direct bolt up. Can anybody help or if I am using the wrong #s please advise.
Thanks a Million!!!

that is the vtec solenoid.
d16z6 is obd1, and 97 civics are obd2a so it isn't 'cut and dry'.
after doing this swap myself, i recommend using a y8/manual engine harness and a y8/manual intake manifold w/sensors & throttlebody & injectors, p28 ecu
also, an obd2a/1 conversion harness, obd2a/1distributor conversion both sold by rywire

Last edited:
Thanks a Bunch for the bad news. hehehe. Before I go and ring the dudes neck that sold me the motor. Would it help me if I was able to get the intake, distributor,ECU and harness from the dude. I appreciate the help and one last thing, did your swap make any difference in the performance. Thanks again Bill

sounds like someone wanted to 'close the deal'
the parts will bolt together but they won't work very well together.
for sure the distributor and ecu, i used my z6 intake manifold but had to cut and splice some sensor connectors.
a y8 manual harness and a y8 manual intake manifold (96-98 EX) would make it easier.
unless you want to splice the z6 harness to your y7 harness (a big job, i wouldn't do it) it won't help you much, but they can be worth about $100 to someone with a 92-95 civic
the d16z6 was the predecessor to the d16y8, for the EX trim civic.
yes, it has a little more power than the d16y7.
the EX transmission would be an improvement too, if its in good condition
here is a pic of mine:
DSCN0314.jpg

Last edited:
well I did the swap the motor that you have that is z6 come out of a 1992 civic hatch,you as if it will bolt? It will I know cause it will work everything is the same but their will be a few things that you use on your motor that won't have to be hooked up to the z6 motor the intake manifold are the sme. but you will need the distributor and ecu from the y7 motor but the distributor could be spices together and the colors are the same so just color match them together and off you go the power steering of the y7 motor you will have to use or you don't need power steering because it would still be ok with turning.... well if you need anything else just get at me aand will try to help as much as possible.. I got hte jump plug for the ecu but i didn't need it. The ecu from the z6 get the ecu out tof the 1992 hatch..

Back