D16y8 Head? Improvement?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

what's up guys? my d16z6 is suffering from a case of blow-by so i'm wanting to replace the engine, but i'm thinking of buying the block and head seperate cause i've seen them pretty cheap on ebay. i've heard that a d16y8 head increases compression adding horsepower and torque. is this true? would it be worth it to find a d16y8 head for the d16z6 block, or should i stick with a z6 head?

i wouldn't bother with the other head.. you will just cause yourself obd issues.. going from an obd1 head to an obd2

the d16y8 head gasket on a z6 will add some compression not much though... also the y8 intake manifold flows a little better or so I have heard... you might want to check it out, but for the most part i do not think it will do much... save up for a B series swap...

No the Z6 and Y8 Head gaskets have the same compressed height, they are even the same part # now. Why not rebuild your motor? Better than buyng someone elses crap and trying to put it together. Read up over on www.dseries.org and see if it's worth rebuilding to you.

man rebuilding it would be ok if i had the money. i just don't. i'm sure to rebuilt it would be 1000 dollars or more. i couldn't do it myself, i don't know anything about it. i'd be willing to learn if someone would work with me, but i don't know anyone who would have the time. if i can get an engine cheap enough, that would be ok.

Back