d16y8 in 1990 dx facts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

05Evo8

Hi, My names Brandon I've got a 1990 Honda Civic Dx HB and I've come across a good deal, a 1999 Civic Ex 5 speed coupe with 140k that's been totaled for $200. I'd like to swap the motor into my car but I'm wondering what's the easiest and cheapest way to wire the two together... I have no intentions of upgrading the motor or ecu, just want some extra passing power. Any information about the swap would be greatly appreciated.

do you own an evo 8. if so your a bastard. give it to me lol.

now onto your problem. if you want it to run decent and actually give you more passing power you're going to need an ecu with fuel trims that work well with that engine. trying to run it with the stock pm6 non-vtec ecu would be a bad idea. converting to obd2b would be a pain in the dick so your best bet would be to get a d16z6 ecu (p28) and convert your car with an obd0-obd1 jumper and subharness.

since your car is a dx you'll also have to convert the fugger from dpfi to mpfi. and unfortunately there is no easy way to get around this.
https://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/dpfi-mpfi-writeup-49557/

and then you'll need the jumper itself
Rywire - Online Store

Yes I have the evo as a summer car and picked up the honda as a winter beater... How much do you think this type of swap would cost considering I would have a complete car to strip parts from?

Yes I have the evo as a summer car and picked up the honda as a winter beater... How much do you think this type of swap would cost considering I would have a complete car to strip parts from?

are you doing the swap yourself? if not, you'll have to see who could do this for you, and what it would cost.

otherwise your looking at the price of the jumper harness and the p28 ecu. thats about it. its pretty much a direct swap. use the mounts off the a6 on the y8, and drop her in. fuel lines, shift linkages, wiring, you'll use everything from the dx.

Back