d16y8 swap to a k20a2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dudeomega2000

I have a 1996 civic coupe ex. It has a SOHC vtec motor. I am an all motor kind of guy and instead of turboing the d I want to swap a k20a2 from an rsx type-s. I am doing preliminary research on the subject and I want to know what i need to do to make this possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

As far as I know - which you'll probably see on K20.org x100 times....

Motor
Trans
RSX-S shifter and linkage
K-Pro, Hondata Reflash, or JDM ECU
Custom Axles made, or Hasport Axles
Hasport Mounts
Relocated Radiator/hoses made to fit, or an RSX radiator made to fit.
Coolant temp/thermostat insert for hoses
Fuel reg, custom return and feed (Mugen makes a block and a reg that work together)
Custom header (DC Sports...etc)
Bigger fuel pump(?)

It gets pretty involved, and I believe you can get and interface harness from Hasport that clips into your core harness. A JDM ECU or KPro needs to be used because most USDM K20 computers have an imobilizer built into the key. Unless you have the key from the motor you'll need to have the ECU reflashed to get rid of the imobilizer.

Why a custom ecu

I looked at your list and every thing looks pretty sound, but the only thing that i do not understand that you need is the hondata k-pro or reflash. and why is jdm ecu listed?????

because usdm ecus have an immobilizer, and unless you have the key for that ecu, your car wont start. the reflash can get rid of the immobilizer.

They are right. You could purchase a jdm ecu and leave it at that. You could purchase a k20a2 (type s) ecu and get the hondata reflash for 600 bucks, or you could just get the k pro along with a k ecu (i want to say most, but dont quote me).

Youll also need things like fuel lines, clutch lines, maybe a new clutch (oem k20a are good too), youll also need the ep3 pulley stuff, and maybe the k20a2 primary o2.

look to spend a pretty penny.

Back