D16Z6 Bogs when accelerating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Filer0128

Well heres the deal. Swapped a D16Z6 into my 92 Hatch about 2 months back and have had some problems with it. First off it only does this when it gets up to temperature but it bogs down alot to the point in which it nearly stalls after accelerating above or around 5 or 6000rpms. I set the idle up to like 1200 (was at 800) just to see if it would help and it still dropped down and nealy stalled. My check engine light is on and has been on since i replaced the engine. One of the codes was the O2 sensor and i replaced it with a new bosche one and that code went away but one code that i have had since the begining is code 9 which is the CYP sensor or something like that. I was told it was in the distributor so i got a new one and reset the computer and all but it was still throwing code 9 after about a month so i went back to the parts store this morning and traded in my month old distributor for another one to see if i got one with a bad CYP sensor but low and behold it is still showing code 9.

I really dont know if this is relevent at all but yesterday when i checked the codes it was throwing 9, 22, and 43. When i reset the computer today it went back to showing a 9 and a 1 (which has never shown up before) but it flashes once then stops for a few seconds and flashes 9 times; they all flash for the same amount of time so its not code 19 i think its just 1 and 9 but both of those codes are for things in my engine that are brand new so idk what the problem there could be and its deff not a 19 cuz i dont have a automatic tranny.

I am really at a standstill here so any input would be great!

I had a simular problem..

I'm guessing you swapped from a d15? have you switched the Map sensor? the d15 map sensor is on the back of the engine bay, the d16's is on the fuel intake. I was actually running with both map sensors hooked up for a while.. confusing for the new cpu ;)

yeah i swapped from a D15B8 but the map sensor was in the same place on both, im running the one that was on the old D15 on my new engine. They both have the same numbers on top and the same plug so i figured they were the same. Are you saying that there is another one somewhere?

Thanks

Did you use old d15 chassis harness with the new d16 engine harness?

I used d15 chassis harness and d16 engine harness.

My d15 chassis harness has the map sensor extention that needs to go into the map sensor hookup. The d15 chassis use to go into a hookup that was on the back of my engine bay when I was using the d15.

After d16 swap the map sensor is ontop of the fuel injector now AND the engine itself has the map sensor harness on it, so the d16 has no chassis map sensor harness.. but because i'm using the d15 chassis harness I need to connect the d15 chassis harness to the d16's map sensor hookup on top of the d16 fuel injector..

IF you actually did do a d15 chassis harness with a d16 engine harness, check where the chassis and engine harness connect, follow the chassis harness and there should be a map sensor extention going from the chassis harness, if there isn't than ignore everything that I just said cause your problem is different.

Last edited:
Check for continuity in the wire itself. Maybe the CYP is not bad. You could have a break in the wire somewhere or the connector at the distributor. I had a problem with my car not starting. After checking the starter battery etc......it turned out to be a bad wire.

yeah i checked the continuity in all the wires that go from the distributor to the ecu and the one orange one (which is one of the 2 for the CYP sensor) didnt have any current flowing through it so i rewired it and the check engine light went off. But the car still hesitates slightly when accelerating but it only does it when its warmed up. I was told to just start going through the wiring harness and start checking the continuity in all the sensors and stuff to see if i can find the problem. Think that would help?

Back