1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D16z6 Build Up For Turbo

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by 4doors4life, Jan 23, 2003.

1. 4doors4life

4doors4life Senior Member

OK I have a 92 Civic EX that I want to prep for boost. What would I need to build up? :huh: I'm new here and I need help and direction.

I'm not looking for an overwhelming amount of power. Maybe like 180-200hp to the wheel at about 8lbs of boost. Should I set my sights lower? Couldn't find anything in search but if someone knows about a prior thread could they send a link?

As for the turbo itself I was looking at the Drag kit since it comes with I/C, BOV, Wastegate and all the necessary piping and hardware. But I know I should just go out there and buy one without building up the engine to handle it. Any imput wil be appreciated (I put on my flame suit just in case!) :D

Mike D.

2. prawjEKt Cx

prawjEKt Cx Senior Member

here's a link pissedoffsol has been putting up.... and it's really not a bad deal considering what you get for the money (including hondata being standard equipment, biggest selling point)

http://www.ks-motorsports.com/

3. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

if you're near maryland swing by Tempest Racing they can get you going in the right direction if you want a really nice setup just check out the webpage

4. 4doors4life

K I checked out the KS website. So they custom build a turbo kit....thats cool, especially with :worthy: Hondata included! . But I want to know what I have to do to build up the engine to handle that added power. Like would I need to upgrade the internals? Or would I be able to run like 7psi of boost with a stock internal engine or what should I look at upgrading? Thanks.

BTW this would be my daily driver and no real track usage. I am sticking with my z6 engine (which has VTEC). Knowing that and the previous posts, what Turbo should i run? I know there is that huge thread in the turbo forum but that was a VTEC/ls argument. This is strictly VTEC! Thanks again.

5. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

7-10psi of boost through the rev range without any internal modifications isn't hard to do if you tune it well. I've got several friends pushing 215-220whp on stock internals, boosting 10-12psi through the rev range, and they haven't had any major issues over a pretty long period of time. The only problem they have is not enough power.. they're greedy and want more.

:lol:

Just make sure your engine is healthy. Perform a compression test, leakdown test etc... if it all checks out ok, boost away.

:D

6. 4doors4life

are there any shops in Socal where I can do these tests? Can I go to smog centers? And I'm not greedy. If I get up to 180 to the wheel I'll be happy! Of course I say this now! Lets see what I say AFTER I boost! Thanks for the help!

7. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

I don't know of any places in your area... but any place that works on engines should be able to perform a compression test and a leakdown for you. Hell, you can do it yourself- go to an auto parts store and pick up a good compression gauge to do a compression test (read up on how to do it in a shop manual or something), and go get a leakdown tester. The only problem is that you need a pressurized air line to do the leakdown test.

8. blm143

blm143 Junior Member

i have the same car as 4doors4life... i am new to this scene and have no idea about where to start with my car or what is what???like i dont know what a hondata is???how much would it cost to do the setup that 4doors4life is trying to do???can you email me please..blm143@hotmail.com as i do this at home mainly i cannot check this site while at work...thanx

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted