damn, i think i really messed something up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Accordian

i think i really messed something up, tell me i'm wrong please

94 integra rs 2dr 5spd
I just got this car two days ago, when I bought it I was told it needed a new Throwout bearing and whenever the clutch pedal was engaged (out) it would make a loud spinning metal noise. today I drove it like 1/4 of a mile down my road and after being in third gear for about 3 seconds..there was a huge crack sound and the car stalled. I looked and saw that my driver's side axle had snapped??! and NOW when you try and let the clutch out in neutral, the drivers side axle spins and no power goes to passenger and when you let it out in any actual gear the car doesn't budge...just stalls (acting like the transmission is totaly stuck.) what is going on... what i'm thinking is it didn't need a new throwout bearing, it needed transmission fluid. I haven't got a chance to check it, but I think it has been running dry and finally seized the tranny.

Last edited:
If you have done permanent damage then it won't work anymore. If you haven't then add some oil and it will be fine. There really isn't anyway for us to diagnose it this way.

ahh I see, well it did break my axle so i'm guessing it got locked up pretty bad inside. Hopefully not, I will first check the oil level then add some heavy weight oil. I was thinking of then trying to free up the transmission, would over filling it be ok? as long as I don't drive it?

So....you snapped an axle, and then tried to drive it?
Your first problem - If you snap an axle, the open differential is going to keep the transmission from from transferring any power to the nonbroken axle. I don't see any throwout bearing related symptoms from your description.

pull the tranny replace the clutch and throwout bearing and pilot bearing, while the tranny is out see if you can shift thru a gear. if the throwout bearing siezed and broke a piece prolly went into the clutch, its like driving a bike fast then sticking a stick in the front tire. its going to lock and throw you off. should be fine, if your in so cal let me know im always glade to throw in a hand. got any tool needed.

wow man, thanks for the help, I hope thats what happened instead of the tranny messing up. Unfortunately i'm in Vermont (not exactly filled with knowlegable tuners) thanks for the offer, wish I was in a honda friendly state. -Ian

I've never heard of intermediate shaft failure as being a common problem on integras. Mine's still going strong @ 250k

The intermediate shaft didn't fail, The transmission seized becasue it was run w/o fluid and as it seized, the foreward motion of the car snapped the driver's side axle. I put ina new tranny and axles and everything works great.

The intermediate shaft didn't fail, The transmission seized becasue it was run w/o fluid and as it seized, the foreward motion of the car snapped the driver's side axle. I put ina new tranny and axles and everything works great.

That sucks. Glad you replaced it though.

Back