Dash Board removal

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chestercheeto48

VIP
Hey guys i am wondering how hard it really is to remove and replace the dash in my 96 civic. My car was broken into and I need to replace the entire dash. I am wondering how hard it really is and if you know any special tricks or areas to watch for. Before I get flamed for Haynes this and Chilton that I will be trying to find one but would like to get a start on the project. Any help would be appreciated.

Quoted post[/post]]
One more quick question. How do you disconnect the passenger airbag so that it will not activate?

The wiring harness all plugs in at the fuse box. Unplug everything that goes up into the dash, pull the bolt on the right side, left side, top center, and bottom center under the "console" When removing the dash, do it slowly, and don't yank around, sometimes there is a ground wire on the driver's side that is pretty thin.

Also, you MUST drop your column. I think its a 4 bolt affair.

Good luck.

What do you mean by dropping the column? just lowering it or is there more to it? I appreciate the help.

I looked around but didnt find much for your specific chasis, but these links should help.
http://importnut.net/civicsteeringswap.htm -scroll about half way down
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=636033
Basically you just need to take your time, be patient and look around for every bolt and fastener. As for the SRS system just disconnec yellt the negative terminal a few minutes before you start playing with the wiring. All of the SRS related wiring should be wrapped in yellow loom withow connectors to it's pretty obvious and as long as you dont go probing connectors with a 12v source you'll be alright. Damn, you and your brother have some bad luck getting your shit stolen, what exactly did they take? Where was this at?

It was at our apartment complex. I was one of nine cars that were broken into that night. they took the entire stereo and broke out the entire center consol where the climate control is. Insurance will cover it all but i am more pissed that the madison pd won't persue the guy that went to american tv to have them fix my deck that was already installed in his vehicle. We gave them the name and license of the guy and they won't do a damn thing about it.

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61875

Thanks for the info Swanny. yeah we do have bad luck i guess that is why casey is now rockin the tahoe.

Drop the column, as in, move the seat all the way back, Remove the metal cover (I'm certain it is there in a 92) Then find the four bolts that bolt the column to the chassis. Remove them. The column/steering wheel/etc will drop to the floor. This has to be done to get the dash out.

Don't make it harder than it is, its intimidating, but actually really easy. Take your time, Unplug everything from the fuse box that goes into the dash, and don't force anything. If it won't come out, there is some form of wiring holding it in. Unplug it, and move on. OH.. DONT forget the HVAC cable that connects to the blower.. Its easy to remove, just don't forget to. Disconnect it at the blower.

thanks for all of your help gentlemen. I was quoted 755.65 for a body shop to do all the work but I have next thursday and friday off of school and I found a replacement dash and climate control for 255.00 + tax. I thought that the extra 500.00 or so dollars would be worth my time.

Damn, I don't know where to start. If you want an estimate written for a little more let me know and I may be able to hook you up with a estimator at Zimbrick that will throw a few more hours of labor in. I replied here too, https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61875
PM me the kids info, I've got a few resources up my sleeve for finding more info on him.

I already received the insurance check for the interior and have ordered the parts. I didn't feel like fighting for more cash, i think 400-500.00 cash in my pocket is plenty. I also just heard that they are going to replace the stereo too. 950.00 in insurance and AMS quoted me 929.xx to replace what i had before so i made out ok. All i am really out is the pain in the ass time dealing with agents and estimators.

Hey just a thought for you......

You can always go over the local police. Just call the county police and if that don't work then the state. If you climb the ladder high enough then the ball will roll....

I never thought about going higher. I was just going to wait and see what happened. I am kinda excited about the new stereo and can't wait to see what AMS has in store for the honda. right now its two JL 10w1v2's in a JL enclosure, JL amp for the 10's, an eclipse amp for the interior speakers, and an eclipse deck. I guess eclipse has some new technology called Iserv that lets you tweak your stereo via the internet and download EQ settings for specific vehicles.

I still have Caseys old deck and 6 disk I bought from him over a year ago............still hasn't gotten put in. :poke: I need a damn 4 channel amp and everything should be good to go.

I think he still might have some of the stereo stuff out of what used to be his green accord. I think that the accord is sold (tear) but he might have kept some of the amps and shit. I can ask if you want.

I'll give him a call him tomorrow, I didn't think about that.

Back