dash light blown fuse

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mattus72

alright so i have a 93 ex civic. I put in a aftermarket stereo and could not get a constant 12v source so for a while it kept having to reset everything on the stereo everytime i turned the car on. so i ran a wire from the battery to the stereo and now it keeps memory but it blew the fuse to the dash light so i went and bought new fuses and replaced it but everytime i do it just blows. does anyone know why this would be happening and if so please enlighten me and let me know what i need to do.
thanks all. -matt

looks like your shortening the illumination wire in the headunit. Its the orange and orangle/black.

Do you have a harness or did you just cut the factory harness?

well im sure it would have made my life alot easier to buy the harness but i just cut the factory wires and did it that way. but yeah ill take a look at the orange wires and see if thats the problem. and if anyone else has any suggestions just let me know so i can check that while im at it. thanks guys

do this. solder the origional harness back on. and go spend 25 dollars at best buy for the wiring harness. That way you dont get any wires mixed up. I know most of the times you cant tell wich one is positive anr neg. on the speaker wires.

then all you have to do is plug and play. Trust me man it will save you so much time and headaches. Especially when you go to put another cd player in. Do you have a multimeter or regular test light?

Either your illumination wire is shorted somewhere or it's hooked up wrong to the head unit. Try unplugging the head unit and see if the fuse still blows. If it doesn't then the problem most likely is in your wiring, and if it does blow still you most likely have a shorted wire somewhere in the illumination circuit.

Back